Dec 3, 2018
I have a HP Full HD 15.6" Notebook Computer and the SKU is Z4L78UAT#ABA
I wa having difficulties with the charger and borrowed one from IT that should have worked, it fit, and it kept my computer on, but it didn't charge. The borrowed charger had a variable amplitude up to 95, and the charger I normally use is 65. After fiddling with it a bit, IT got the old charger working, but they said that the computer either had a strange charging port, or it was broken. If there is anyone else who has this laptop and can tell me what it should look like or post a picture I would be grateful.

Solution
You should be able to tell if the port is broken easily, it's often off-angle from center. You would have it loose or broken internally also.
Dec 3, 2018

Nothing is bent, but the IT person said that there is normally a cover protecting the prongs, but in mine it is just 4 prongs, with space around it and in the middle

Sounds like the plastic cracked around the actual pins, that also happens.
It may be replaceable fairly cheaply. That SKU you listed is not the SKU, it's the serial number.

When you say "IT got it working" is this a work laptop? Have them replace the port or get you a new system.

Dec 3, 2018

Sorry, my bad. It is a personal laptop, but I have been able to get ahold of someone who has one and mine is definitely broken. There is one charger that works, but there is a missing piece in the port, making me think the broken part is in the charger or something like that. Thanks for your help. Do you know if this would be very hard to fix? Since it is personal, I have to do it myself, but it is started working so long as I am careful. Do you know how big a problem it is? This is what it looks like

I can't see the picture, looks like you linked from your email account.

I have seen laptops with the charging port broken off with just the metal contacts and it worked OK, just at times it would not and you have to re-seat the charger. There may be a guide online for your model on how to replace the jack, do a web search for your model (not the S/N).

Dec 3, 2018

thanks, do you know how i would tell what type of laptop it is? I tried, but I couldn't figure it out.

Should be a sticker on the case, or maybe in the BIOS. Plus you have it, you don't know what you bought or have the receipt or box or documents in the box or anything?