Solved! Is there a way to reset to factory without carrier settings?

Aug 8, 2019
I have a Samsung Tab E that has wifi/lte. It was on Bell Mobility in Canada and I have since switched to a better plan with a chatr sim card. I have contacted BELL who says the tablet is not locked to their network but, somehow it is because when I do a hard reset the Bell apps are installed. Ive even tried at one of their corporate stores and same thing, its not locked to their network, even though the clerk said it still is, but without it registered on their network they say they can't give me a the code to unlock the device. Both Bell and Chatr have no said there is nothing they can do.

I bought the tablet at Costco unlocked and with no contract so somehow when I activated the tablet with Bell, their software was added to the factory reset.

I purchased the GSMA report and unlock service from DoctorSim, GSMA report says that the tablet has not been blacklisted. I also ordered their standard unlock service but I just got an email today that they were not successful and that it needs to be unlocked via USB?

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to how I can reset the tablet without the carrier settings/apps?

Like I wrote, I bought the tablet at Costco as a brand new unlocked tablet so the Bell settings should not be installing when I do a hard factory reset.

Solution
I have a Samsung Tab E that has wifi/lte. It was on Bell Mobility in Canada and I have since switched to a better plan with a chatr sim card. I have contacted BELL who says the tablet is not locked to their network but, somehow it is because when I do a hard reset the Bell apps are installed. Ive even tried at one of their corporate stores and same thing, its not locked to their network, even though the clerk said it still is, but without it registered on their network they say they can't give me a the code to unlock the device. Both Bell and Chatr have no said there is nothing they can do.

The tablet being locked or not to a service does not have anything to do with what apps or branding is installed on it, those are in the...
That is really fishy. Unless they are the company that the device was purchased through (like buying a Sprint phone at a Bestbuy) there is no reason for their things to be on the phone. I suggest you call back to the company and keep asking for supervisors until you get someone who can resolve it. Addditionally, you might want to contact Costco. They are good at helping with problems with items purchased through them. If it is not supposed to have a specific carrier's/service provider's stuff, perhaps Costco will exchange it for you. Depending on how old it is of course.

Reactions: vimsem
Aug 8, 2019
That is really fishy. Unless they are the company that the device was purchased through (like buying a Sprint phone at a Bestbuy) there is no reason for their things to be on the phone. I suggest you call back to the company and keep asking for supervisors until you get someone who can resolve it. Additionally, you might want to contact Costco. They are good at helping with problems with items purchased through them. If it is not supposed to have a specific carrier's/service provider's stuff, perhaps Costco will exchange it for you. Depending on how old it is of course.

I got it unlocked after about 12 hours of frustration. I installed platform-tools and reformatted the tablet and enabled dev. mode with USB and found the bell packages and uninstalled them via command prompt. Then DocSim sent me an email to download an app and that gave me the unfreeze and network code. Oh course I forgot to take the SIM out so the first time it failed.

Thank you :)

The tablet being locked or not to a service does not have anything to do with what apps or branding is installed on it, those are in the factory setup as defaults. If you buy a Chevy but put a Cadillac engine in it, the Chevy badges and instruments don't change. If you take a Verizon phone that is unlocked and put it on Straight Talk or something, the phone will still have all the Verizon stuff on it. You found the way to uninstall the apps but just did not want any confusion here about what happened, there was no issue with the tablet.

Solution