Is there a way to take a graphic card out?

Tiago97

Estimable
Dec 5, 2014
Well I am with this problem which I have 2 laptops but one isnt working so I am swapping components and the laptop that isnt working had an better CPU and Graphic card ,I swapped the cpu without any problems , but when I was going to take the grafic cards I didn't know how , they are attached to the motherboard on both laptops , is there a way to take them out? If so what are the tools that I need ?

Thank you.

Solution

No, not really a serviceable part. With the proper equipment you could locally heat that up and remove it, but you would need exact spec sheets for the proper temperatures and how long they should be supplied. Generally the precision required is only available at the factory...

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
Picture is a little small and blurry for me to tell actually. My guess would be no. I see a layer of protective plastic that is covering up around that area. If it looks like a discrete card that can be removed then it should be pretty clear to see.

If there is no separation between the motherboard and what the GPU is attached to, then it is likely a BGA chip soldered to the board.

Tiago97

Estimable
Dec 5, 2014
Yes I think its soldered too , is there a way to desolder it?

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald

No, not really a serviceable part. With the proper equipment you could locally heat that up and remove it, but you would need exact spec sheets for the proper temperatures and how long they should be supplied. Generally the precision required is only available at the factory that built it. And for the price of purchasing the proper equipment you could go out and a buy a few laptops.

Even then, no guarantee that the other board would accept the chip.

Solution

Tiago97

Estimable
Dec 5, 2014
alright thanks for the help !