Is this HDD shot ? , already ?

Usernamedbill

Estimable
Aug 25, 2015
I have a Gateway NE722 laptop , its only 1.5 yrd old , it was bought remanufactured on ebay. It always worked great then one morning it would not boot and displayed a error message : Default boot device missing or Boot failed. I have a hard time believing the hdd would crap out so soon but who knows. I don't know a ton about computers. I am able to access the setup utility, not sure if this is the same as bios.I changed the boot priority to Hdd as first but that did nothing, curiously on the "main" page it gas a D2D recovery and under "specific help" it gives directions for Acer disc-to-disc recovery via Alt +F10 key, tried thag but nothing, so not sure how to proceed, I do have a very similar pc, same NE722 with different features if that could help diagnose the problem without causing any damage I'm open to it. Thanks !!

Solution
Hi there Usernamedbill,

You should either test the drive with some HDD testing tool for DOS mode(USB, CD, etc) or take the drive out, attach it to your other system and test it with something like these: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282651-32-best-diagnostic-testing-utility
In case you have some data stored on the drive, you can try accessing the drive with some data recovery tools. Yet again, a DOS mode one as your system can't boot.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD

D_Know_WD

Estimable
Hi there Usernamedbill,

You should either test the drive with some HDD testing tool for DOS mode(USB, CD, etc) or take the drive out, attach it to your other system and test it with something like these: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282651-32-best-diagnostic-testing-utility
In case you have some data stored on the drive, you can try accessing the drive with some data recovery tools. Yet again, a DOS mode one as your system can't boot.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD

Solution

Usernamedbill

Estimable
Aug 25, 2015

Usernamedbill

Estimable
Aug 25, 2015
Thanks , I'm pretty much resigned to buying a used WD replacement on eBay for $50-60 , the problem now becomes replacing the OS on the damaged drive, I was told that Microsoft might help if given the computer s/n then give me product key, if so then that would be OK ...Thanks again !