Is this new laptop damaged? (with pic)

donline

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
Hi folks,

I just received a new ASUS laptop and noticed that there were a couple of minor scratches (pic below) on two of the heatsink fins, where some of the black coating has been removed (if you look at the other fins they are fully coated)...

Do you think this is an issue? Should I keep the new laptop or just return it for a new one (it's still within guarantee period)?

Thanks!

11r6ik6.jpg

Solution
Well regardless, fin coating affects absolutely nothing. It's probably black (or at least dark color) coated to make the fins less visible from the outside.

EDIT: The fins up against the exhaust on my laptop are black-coated as well. Seems like an aesthetic choice by manufacturers.

Mr Kagouris

Estimable
Sep 7, 2015
Unless you encounter any issues while using it, I would not considered potentially scratched heatsink fin coating to be something you should return a laptop for, and I'm 99.9% certain the manufacturer will just facepalm and send it back as well (assuming there's no functional issue).

donline

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
Thanks folks, unfortunately that was the best quality pic I could take...

Appreciate your response Mr Kagouris - so the scratched away coating would not affect the heatsink?
Thanks!

donline

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016

Not sure if it's a new thing! I'm not very experienced...

But where the black coating has come off, you can see it's kind of silver underneath. Don't know if the black coloured coating does anything functional or if it's just aesthetic?

I did check the fins in bright daylight today (it's sunny) so you definitely see the difference in colour (though not so clear in the pic, sorry).

Thanks

Mr Kagouris

Estimable
Sep 7, 2015
Well regardless, fin coating affects absolutely nothing. It's probably black (or at least dark color) coated to make the fins less visible from the outside.

EDIT: The fins up against the exhaust on my laptop are black-coated as well. Seems like an aesthetic choice by manufacturers.

Solution

donline

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016

Thanks Mr Kagouris

That's good it's just aesthetic in purpose.
Is there any risk of toxicity where the coating has come off (could any particles blow out of the vent where the damaged fins are located?), or any other risks from the damaged coating? What do you think the coating is made of? I'm a bit concerned about safety...

Appreciate your guidance.