Is TurboYourPC Scamware?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ccoo84

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
Hi I usually never download or buy programs that say they can clean your computer or guarantees to make it faster, I was just curious about this one called Turbo Your Pc. it says it can get rid of unnecessary files. What do people think?

Solution
I don't buy into those. I used to work at OfficeMax some time ago, and if you had an issue with your computer, we would hook it up and run our own software that's similar. It would tell you if there was a virus detected, or if there were files that could be deleted etc. Honestly, the whole thing was a crock, and still is. Most of the time when it says there are files to delete, it's talking about temp files, or files sitting in your download folder. Even your recycle bin, if it has stuff in it, will trigger the unnecessary files. If you take it in to them, or BestBuy, I can almost guarantee that it will say you need to do/remove something!

If you're worried about bloat from having surfed and downloaded too many things, I would instead...

bikeamtn

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011

As a convergent technology consultant (and OEM certified by six major computer manufactures in addition to both AMD & Intel), I’ve been working in the tech-industry since the 8088. I could write a magazine on why things slow down (it's the bowser these days) but plan and simple, the advice by mudpuppet is correct.

Also; as an IT - Telecom - Security professional, we all to well are aware (as proven in a Symantec study/report and my own 12 month investigation) that 90% of all computer virus/malware and system/network attacks and breach are related to some form of active-content, (such as xss, 'cross site scripting' or Flash, Java, etc) exploit within web-browser/OS executable functionality and that functionality is also being exploited by marketing ‘data-brokers’ to capture personally identifiable information for their own commercial monetization (often without proper consent). Here's what has happened; over the last decade, web-technology was allowed to be led by much of the marketing industry for the purpose of this ‘active content exploit’, of which the cybercrime world now also exploits. [Here’s the story you must see: CBS 60 Minutes Report – ‘The Data Brokers: Selling your personal information’. In this 60 Minutes Report, Steve Kroft investigates the multibillion dollar industry of cyber snooping and collection of our private web activity]

As an Internet user (and the informed, common folk would agree) I prefer not to be snooped-on and to greatly reduce my risk of threat by employing a 'browser' (such as Avant, Comodo Dragon, etc) that protects these assets of mine by allowing the user quick/easy options to disable such ‘active-content’ and scripting features (like ‘sand-boxing’) for privacy and greatly reduced harm and cyber security issues while cruising the Internet.

So; that is why all using the Internet and web developers need to be ‘in-touch’ with reality when it comes to web-browser compatibility and security - from an end-user point of view, the future is all about web-security & privacy despite the hype for media rich content. This reality is not going away but will become even more acute in the very near future.

That’s my advice and a freebee from an old-schooled professional.

memman

Estimable
Dec 23, 2015

Seriously? GoToMyPC is not scam or bloatware. If you really were a technobug you would know that GoToMyPC is a communication software much like PCAnywhere that allows you to access your system from another location. Don't be trying to push yourself off to know something you don't.

Denboy

Estimable
Dec 27, 2015
I downloaded "Turboyourpc" thinking it was freeware and it turned out to be a bit of a con. It said £8.95 which I thought was a one off payment, when I paid that I found out that PayPal had taken £15.59 from my account and then it would be £10.74 a month for ever. I soon cancelled that. As I said "A Con"

Arlb

Estimable
Dec 31, 2015
DO NOT BUY IT, I got caught by them, I thought the product was legit and bought it. Ha! installed it on my system, ran it... okay i know there was some problems with my files. Paid them for the solution and nothing, the software would not clean my system a bug in the software, rang the 24/7 help line, no help, could not get anyone from turboyourpc to help me getting the software to run, after much frustration i gave up on it, the help line decided that i needed softwre and billed me for a file shreeder which i did not want nor order so they sold me it without telling me. after much ado and achieving nothing I decided that is it, I want my money back, they have told me they will refund and it will show up in my card statement within 5 to 7 days, I will wait and see. But anyone thinking of buying this software, my advice DON'T

John_208

Estimable
Jan 2, 2016

GoToMyPC and PC Anywhere are legitimate but you have pay.
Use the totally free TeamViewer for Chat, Video Chat, P2P file transfer and Remote Connect.
I use it to connect remotely to my home computer from anywhere even from phone or tablet.
Can see desktop exactly as if I were there. Also great to remotely troubleshoot problems on
another computer. It will also allow you to reboot and automatically reconnect when other
computer starts. Much better than trying to talk someone instructions over phone.

Ccleaner is free and works great. Cleans internet cache, history, old install files and windows system files.
Also cleans registry and makes a back-up in case you want to reverse the repair.

Malwarebytes is also free and finds almost every type of spyware, malware, and adware. Works great.

Windows 7, 8, and 10 use Defender which comes with the OS. Microsoft Security Essentials or Defender
do a decent job as Antivirus but if you feel you need more protection you may want to consider a third party Antivirus.

John_208

Estimable
Jan 2, 2016
Ccleaner is free and works great. Cleans internet cache, history, old install files and windows system files.
Also cleans registry and makes a back-up in case you want to reverse the repair.
I have been using it for years. One click and your done. Takes less than 3 min.

N3TRICITY

Estimable
Sep 18, 2015
In our experience, there is no one solution for every system on the market. Case and point, we recently performed best practice maintenance to a client computer only to discover the hard drive was failing. In an unrelated incident, the application to speed up the system was the issue, robbing the system of its resources.

If you have performance issues, there is no secret to finding remedies. It begins with insuring your hardware is working properly, then ridding your system of unused programs, emptying your waste bin, removed broken links, broken registry entries, and cleaning your temp folder. Additional services include adjusting MSCONFIG and reviewing your PAGE file settings.

Malware is the second greatest threat to an operating system. Adwcleaner is a good first step, followed by using an updated malware scanner, and after which, I use CCleaner.

Last but not least, check to insure your browser is not hijacked and assess your Internet Connection for a proxy setting that was maliciously changed without your permission.

Personally, my experience has shown that 'turbo programs' work without your knowledge of what, where, and when they execute. Talk to a professional - don't pay for scripted remedies.

leeestrada

Estimable
Jan 5, 2016

CCLEANER also has a tools section which cleans registry

mdabandit

Estimable
Jan 14, 2016
I completely agree that almost all of these types of programs do little if anything & at worst are themselves malware, spyware or a virus. I am also in complete agreement with the individual that recommended cCleaner. I have used it for over 20 years, yes I said 20 years, and it does a great job of cleaning not only unnecessary files but also unneeded registry items. You can also keep track of your start up programs which can drastically slow down the start up process of your computer. Another plus for me is in the 20 plus years I have used it there has never been anything removed that caused an issue with the operating system. Get it & save yourself a lot of issues. There is no pie in the sky program out there.

rythm01

Estimable
Jan 16, 2016

rythm01

Estimable
Jan 16, 2016
Denboy, Exactly that has just happened to me. Did you get your money back from paypal. I am going to try and cancel/refund. In addition to this i have not noticed any difference on my pc.

cresta2007

Estimable
Jan 20, 2016
Hi Mudpuppet. Dont install this program. It made no difference whatsoever to my pc even though it said I had over 400 issues. I paid out nearly £16.00 for the privilege of finding this out. Also, there is a monthly payment of over £10 stopped automatically from your payment method. Luckily I paid through PAYPAL so I have stopped the repeat payments. Not sure if I will get the initial payment of £16.00 back though. It is a complete scam. I was fooled into it because it said limited trial offer. Once bitten , twice shy as they say

oldfarmer

Commendable
Feb 10, 2016
My solution (in process,started today) is to file a fraud complaint against this outfit through our state attorney's office. I took the bait, downloaded the program and tried to run. Could not without an "activation" key for which additional payment was required. Only problem is have not received the key. Now found three charges on my card statement! I have contacted the company several times using the contact email address on the website. No response from their "support team" I obviously would not recommend dealing with them, but I have no idea if the program functions as claimed or not as I have not bee able to run it. No Key! I don't know if it is a scam or not, but as the gentleman once said, "If it runs like a duck, quacks like a duck, and in this case. smells like a duck, enough said!