Is VGA restricted by HDCP now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaaah

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
Is PC VGA to TV restricted by HDCP?

My nephew just gave me his old 720p non-HDCP TV. (Guess what he got for Xmas.) I would like to connect it to my computer as a 2nd display and use it to watch NetFlix.

Since Windows 8.1 wants anything connected via HDMI to be HDCP compliant, could I just
connect the two via VGA?

My display card is a GTX 750 Ti. I would connect the two using a HDMI to VGA cable. Is that workable or would the res fall short of 720p?

Wolfshadw

Splendid
The problem is likely your HDMI to VGA cable. A simple cable does not transition the digital HDMI signal to an analog VGA signal. Your best bet would be to use a DVI-I to VGA adapter and then a VGA cable to your TV. Audio would need to be handled with another cable. Netflix shouldn't care what cable is being used.

-Wolf sends

gaaah

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

OK, thanks, I'll give it a try.

gaaah

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
Hi, It turns out that when I originally posted I did not have the remote to the TV and thought it was awake. Well, it wasn't, and while asleep the TV does not report much of anything to Windows. Once I woke up the TV with the remote I tried the HDMI to HDMI cable again and, poof, Windows accepted it without comment.

So thanks for your help and consider it case closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY