It won't let me out of reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press key

Dec 28, 2018
Toshiba Satellite P855 won't let me out of reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press key. I can not, I repeat I can NOT get into BIOS. No matter what key(s) I press it just scrolls "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press key". I replaced hard drive , same thing. Now it had Windows 8 and upgraded to 10. I have a Windows 7 disk. Do I NEED a Windows 8 or it matters not Thanks

Which edition of Windows you have doesn't matter. Fast Startup in Win 10 can prevent you from getting into the BIOS, though.

Have you performed an EC/NVRAM reset? (Remove the battery and charger, press & hold the power button for 5 seconds, then reconnect power.) Also, if you're tapping the key for the BIOS setup, try holding it when you first power on the laptop, instead (don't wait for the startup logo or the boot media notification).

As far as I've read, the BIOS setup key is either F2 or F12 for the P855.

Dec 28, 2018
Update. I pressed 0 and the pc brings me to a screen I can do several things. When I try to go into safe mode or troubleshooting to get to command prompt it starts to run like it normally does to go into safe mode then freezes. I let it run for 10 hrs ... Nothing Just freezes

If I select start Windows the Windows logo pops up and freezes

I have my windows 7 disk in my pc but it does not go there
Any suggestions?

Jan 18, 2019
My laptop is doing the same thing. What a coincidence. I have a Toshiba Satellite S50-A.... Very frustrating. No matter what keys I press it won't go to BIOS

Jan 18, 2019
Press ESC, F2, and DEL after powering on repeatedly. That's how I got into BIOS. Then I just pressed exit and it worked lol

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Laptop Tech Support 2
F Laptop Tech Support 1
C Laptop Tech Support 1
L Laptop Tech Support 6
R Laptop Tech Support 1
U Laptop Tech Support 1
R Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 1
I Laptop Tech Support 2
B Laptop Tech Support 4
J Laptop Tech Support 6