Just had my second laptop charger die - is this the fault of my computer or charger? Details in thread HELP!

Whib96

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
The big deal here: My Asus Eee PC 1005PEB no longer has a charger because my second charger just died (see here for an image: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4QxxITruc2KZGhhVDFzQjQ5d190bHowV21PTU5pd1cxVS1v/edit?usp=sharing). Both chargers got insanely hot, and I mean insanely. Too hot to touch. How can I tell if my computer is causing my chargers to get too hot and die? I can't keep buying chargers.

Details (important): My first charger died I believe just because something burned out in it. I can't stress enough that these charger bricks got HOT. For this reason, I would usually unplug the charger after letting the computer charge for a bit to let the brick cool down some, and then plug it back in. (see notes below for more details on how the temperature of the brick would change) One night though, I let my first charger stay in for a long while, and it was partially under a blanket on the floor by accident. Suddenly, it went out and never worked again. I went to check it after it had went out, and it was EXTREMELY hot. Definitely too hot to touch for more than 1-3 seconds. Well, that was a cheap no brand charger, so I figured it was just junk. So I order an OEM charger, and it ALSO gets flamin' hot. So I just continue with my strategy of keeping the brick from getting too hot. During this time, I ask on a laptop forum if this charger getting hot is an issue or if it's supposed to happen, and a couple ensure me that if my battery was bad, I'd be seeing tons of issues other than just a hot charger, and that the charger probably just gets hot normally because it's a small power brick. Okay. So, the no brand one was probably just crap, and I'm fine now. Yesterday, again, I accidentally left it plugged it for just a bit too long, and I felt it and it was super hot. Unplugged it (note that it was working and the LED was on at this time), and let it cool off. No biggie. Plug it back in and the LED does NOT come on. Oh crap, I fried it. The two halves came apart super easily, so I'm guessing the glue melted. See the image above for what I saw. The big capacitor had bubbles coming out of the top. Yikes. So yeah, that charger is gone. PLEASE NOTE THOUGH, the first charger did NOT die in this way. I saw NO visible damage or issues in the first charger. At this point, I'm not just gonna buy another charger and let it die. They cost 15 bucks and apparently they aren't even lasting me a year. Because both chargers died, I'm starting to think the laptop itself is causing the problem. However, how can I even figure that out? I mean if I have to pay at least 20 bucks for a new battery and 15 more bucks for another charger, then I may as well just sell the laptop now as scrap and buy a new one, since I can just get another netbook for under $100. Ideas? Advice?

NOTES (ALSO IMPORTANT):
-The charger only got hot when charging the battery. If I took the battery out, the power supply brick was a fine temperature.
-The charger would heat up VERY quickly if I charged the battery while using the laptop
-If I charged the laptop while it was on sleep or shut down, the brick heated up much, much slower, but still could reach very hot temps.
-The battery does NOT get hot, ever. No signs of problem there.
-This laptop is not meant to run/support Windows 8, but it currently is. Would that have anything to do with it? Surely not.
-I purchased this computer on eBay in April with Windows 8 already on it.
-Seems unlikely, but I guess it indeed COULD be normal and fine for these chargers to get this hot, and I just happened to get a bad charger.
-Second charger was purchased in May, and just died yesterday.

Kinda sucks, because it was right as school was starting. Any help is appreciated!

Solution
well the charger you both are faulty. charger's supposed to get hot but not that hot. buy a new charger and make sure this time that either it is a original charger your laptop and not just a compatible one. most compmatible charger i seen burst into flames.

qazzi

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
well the charger you both are faulty. charger's supposed to get hot but not that hot. buy a new charger and make sure this time that either it is a original charger your laptop and not just a compatible one. most compmatible charger i seen burst into flames.

Solution

Whib96

Distinguished
May 30, 2011

Thank you for your reply. I'm a little saddened to see that I only got one response.

Well, the second charger i bought was an official Asus charger, and it had all the same specs (I checked) that the original supposedly has. I got the specs for the original by checking the Asus estore which listed parts and chargers for my netbook. So, I'm pretty sure I had the official charger, or at least an identical.

Any other ideas?

Whib96

Distinguished
May 30, 2011

Well where can I find the class A charger?

qazzi

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
well you could ask a sales person for a expensive version of your charger. usually the more expensive means higher quality. (but not always), just make sure the reseller you bought it is a reputable one,