Keep or Replace a Chromebook with Windows 8 on a Budget?

lalo64

Estimable
Feb 24, 2015
Hello. I'm a college student currently using a Toshiba Chromebook (CB30) as my main laptop. I bought it halfway through 2014 and have been so far impressed with the speed, performance, and battery life. However, recently, I've started eyeing the new line of cheap Windows 8.1 laptops that have started coming out.

I'm stuck between the HP Stream 11 ($171) and the ASUS X205TA ($161) , mainly because its under $200 in the Microsoft Store with student discount and because I'm starting to miss the ability to install some Windows app. Granted, I know that they are relatively weak laptops (Intel Celeron and Intel Atom) but I'm not concerned with getting a gaming machine. I want something that will last long on a battery, portable, and is a decent performer.

My main focus is for it to be able to multitask, such as having a couple of tabs open in Chrome and typing a Word doc simultaneously, with some music streaming. My Chromebook can handle that with Google Docs instead of Word. I would also like it to be able to play 1080p videos from YouTube with maybe some light browsing on the side. My Chromebook kind of stutters in 1080p playback so that might be a bit unrealistic. Still I'd like to have a Windows laptop again.

Should I keep my Chromebook or sell it and get one of the new Windows laptops? Any other suggestions with laptops around the $200 mark? Please don't suggest Linux or any other Linux distribution. Keep it between Chrome OS or Windows (From 7 to 8.1)

Any honest answers would be appreciated. Thank you.

delaro

Distinguished
Windows 8.1 vs Chrome Windows takes more resources to run take this in mind with really low budget units.

HP Stream 11
dull screen
Sluggish at times worse when multi-tabbing
Good battery life with a 9 hour average

ASUS X205TA
Much brighter and clearer screen when compared to the Stream.
Much better overall performance while multi-tabbing
Better battery life 12 hours on average.

The Asus looks like the better deal and faster than both the Stream and what you have now.