Solved! Laptop battery not working anymore

Feb 14, 2021
Hello everyone.
I have an ASUS Zenbook UX3410UA (UX410UQK), which I've been using for 3.5 years. I recently installed Ubuntu 20.04 on my laptop and since then I've been having all kinds of problems with my battery. My laptop would just shutdown when the battery level would be around 30%. So I tried calibrating the battery manually multiple times, but without any success. I cannot use any software tools either, since the BIOS does not offer calibration. I wanted to update the BIOS with the hope that the new versions would offer calibration, but there was no newer version available anymore. I also removed the battery, booted up the laptop without it, shut it down and then put the battery back inside. Still the same issue. But now it has gotten even worse! The battery is not charging anymore, because when I remove the charger it just shuts down. Unfortunately the battery is not being produced anymore, so the only battery I could (if at all) find are cheap ones from china. So I'm not sure if its worth wasting time and money on it.
I'm desperately trying to figure out what the issue is here. Is it possible that Ubuntu messed up my battery? Or did the battery simply reach its lifetime? Or could it be that the charger is at fault here? Does anyone have any idea?

Last edited:
Solution
3.5 years is about a normal battery lifespan, nothing really odd that it failed.
If the laptop works on the charger that means the charger is good.

If you think it's something with the OS, install the original OS it had and test things on that.
3.5 years is about a normal battery lifespan, nothing really odd that it failed.
If the laptop works on the charger that means the charger is good.

If you think it's something with the OS, install the original OS it had and test things on that.

Solution