Laptop can't even play youtube right? Bad CPU?

ghict

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013
Hi,
I've got the laptop of a buddy of mine.
He brought it to me to speed it up:
ASUS X58C

• - Intel Celeron D 220 1,20 GHz (overclocked factory setting: 1,50GHZ
    - 3GB Kingstond DDR2 667 Memory (upgraded from 1GB)
    - SiS Mirage 3 Graphics Card
    - AV = Kingsoft Cloud AV (because MSE used too much memory)
Above are the specs of the laptop i'm talking about.
When he first brought it to me, it had 1 GB RAM and MS Vista Home Basic.
I upgraded the memory from 1 to 3GB DDR2, and did a clean install of Windows 7 HP x86.

After installing Windows and the new memory, the laptop was a lot faster then before! But it couldn't play YouTube movies in 360p right. (it was very slow and was horrible to watch) I changed to 240p and it didn't make much of a difference. I've tried it on both Firefox and Google Chrome.

If I play a Youtube video, I can see in Task Manager that the CPU Usage is always 100% stable.

What can i do to make it pleasant watching YouTube again? Or is the (solderd -.-') Celeron CPU becoming my problem?

P.S. Sorry for the bad english, I'm from Holland.

Thanks in advance

Solution
Overall, it is a pretty weak and old laptop. I would say you are getting very poor performance in Youtube because the Mirage 3 can't really handle the video decoding necessary for current Flash videos. That is why you see the CPU at 100%; the CPU is doing all the video decoding which in modern laptops is usually done by the graphics core.

Overall, it is a pretty weak and old laptop. I would say you are getting very poor performance in Youtube because the Mirage 3 can't really handle the video decoding necessary for current Flash videos. That is why you see the CPU at 100%; the CPU is doing all the video decoding which in modern laptops is usually done by the graphics core.

Solution

ghict

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013

Thank you for the good and clear answer! I can tell my friend to buy a new one ;)