Laptop capable of 3 external 4k displays

Apr 20, 2018
Hi all,

Does anyone know of a laptop that can support 3 external 4k monitors (laptop screen can be off when docked to them, not bothered about that)? I basically want to use the laptop as a portable workstation that can be docked.

I know there is the StarTech dock that claims to support 3 external 4k monitors, although all of the laptops I've found say they support 2 external 4k monitors only. I don't understand how the dock could magically add support for another 4k monitor if the graphics card can't handle that, and if it can, why don't the manufacturers advertise that?

There are Razor and Alienware gaming laptops which say they do 3 4k monitor output due to the Nvidia GPUs, but I'd prefer AMD (Linux / Wayland) and "gaming" in the product name doesn't go down overly well as a business expense.

Was hoping that the Kady Lake G might support 3 4k displays (even if linux support isn't there yet), but the Lenovo, HP and Dell ones I've seen which use it say 2 4k only.

Any ideas?

Allan

Solution
Laptop uses mobile gpus. Gpu in laptops mostly has lower clock frequency than desktop version. Taking account of supporting 3 4k displays, I highly recommend a desktop pc rather than laptop.

amilio

Prominent
Dec 30, 2017
Laptop uses mobile gpus. Gpu in laptops mostly has lower clock frequency than desktop version. Taking account of supporting 3 4k displays, I highly recommend a desktop pc rather than laptop.

Solution