Laptop DVI to TV BUT no audio with soundbar

Phia

Estimable
Feb 25, 2015
So I have all my devices connected to my LG smart TV for video (cable box, PS4, laptop). I am able to obtain audio through my optical audio connection on my soundbar for the PS4 and cable box. However the audio for the laptop is limited to the TV's internal speakers.

How can I get the laptop audio to work through the soundbar? Keep in mind the only audio jack on the laptop is a traditional 3.5 audio jack. Can the TV accept the audio from the laptop then send it to the optical audio for the soundbar? I even tried connecting a separate 3.5 audio from the laptop to the 3.5 jack on the soundbar (skipping the optical audio) but cannot get the audio to work on the soundbar still. Still limited to the TV's internal speakers. Sorry for the lengthy question!

Warukyure

Estimable
When you're hooking up the 3.5mm cable from your laptop to the sound bar did you switch the input settings? Usually you have to toggle settings like Optical, Analog, Bluetooth, etc.

I find it stranger that you have a laptop with DVI. You're not converting HDMI from your laptop to DVI to hook into the TV are you?