KTZilla

Estimable
Feb 3, 2015
I am currently looking to change my old laptop with AMD Radeon 5000 because it didn't seems to work well with CAD applications.

I am looking for a laptop with graphic card that can handle both engineering and CAD software plus gaming. I am seriously into Skyrim mods and more likely to do so when I play Fall out 4.
I also like do multitasking. For example, multiple chrome tabs at the same time with AutoCAD and window media player.

I travel a lot so I am limited to laptop. My budget is also limited to $1200 with flexible $300 additional. I do not mind about the weight. It can be 30lbs plus.

Please recommend me the options I have on the market. I am starting to save money for this laptop and I want to play some modern games already.

(If there is a portable desktop option, I would rethink of the price limit.)

Solution

All the laptops listed have very good processors for the task and most have 16gb ram which is quite enough he could always get more if needed.

Purpletalon55

Respectable
Apr 2, 2016
Okay at that price point let me grab some recommendations, most graphics chips will handle all the tasks you want, but Quadros would be better for strictly CAd, and whatnot.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232863

http://www.digitalstorm.com/triton.asp
( more expensive but has far better support, i own a couple machines from digital storm and they have the best customer service in the buisiness hands down. You will never have any issues as they build and test your machine with every kind of software under the sun before you get it. )

http://www.sagernotebook.com/customize.php?productid=884( best value plus you get a free game with it. Can customize any part in a sager)

lodders

Estimable
Nov 2, 2015
Quadro GPU are designed for workstations, but I have been told that newer gaming GPUs like gtx 960m run autocad very well.
Lots of engineering programs also require a fast processor and plenty of memory. I would look for a fast i7 and over 8Gb of RAM

Purpletalon55

Respectable
Apr 2, 2016

All the laptops listed have very good processors for the task and most have 16gb ram which is quite enough he could always get more if needed.

Solution

KTZilla

Estimable
Feb 3, 2015
Thank you for the tip, I am currently in Bangkok so, I will need to find a way to ship the laptop.
In Thailand, they have Dell, Lenovo and MSI service centers. It will be a great choice for me to get brand ones like that so I can request shipment to particular shop.

Purpletalon55

Respectable
Apr 2, 2016

Your welcome, i would recommend ordering from digital storm. Tell them that I sent you and they may give you a deal :) Im quite well known under the same username on the digital storm forums. They do ship internationally and for a very good price, all service on them is done in California. They are headquartered in Silicon Valley, I understand you wanting to get a brand name for a specific facility, but if you can repair it they often will ship parts to you, or even just replace the product for free if it breaks.