Laptop freezes and need hard restart to work again.

Doutor

Estimable
Aug 18, 2015
Three weeks ago I bought a new Omen 17 inch laptop. It has a GTX 1070 and an i7 6700 HQ in it and has worked like a charm. But today, I was playing Mass Effect Andromeda and suddenly the computer froze. Mouse wouldn't move, no sound coming from the dialogue nothing. I tried alt-tabbing but nothing showed up. After a hard reboot I went again to play the game and after like 10 minutes it had happened again. So again I had to hard reboot it. Since I thought it was a game problem I went to see a movie online. Halfway through the movie same thing happens and I had to reboot it again. It has never happened to me before, and I'm a bit scared that my brand new laptop is already failing. Any one got any clue of what the problem can be?

Doutor

Estimable
Aug 18, 2015

Downloading RealTemp and GPU-z. Should I game and copy what the temperatures are?

festerovic

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
Check the settings and make sure that they are writing to a log file, so that you can see the point at which the machine restarts. Try playing until it crashes. If it doesnt, try to see how high the temps go.

Doutor

Estimable
Aug 18, 2015

After an hour of playing, it didn't crash this time. The max temperatures where 67ºC/152ºF for the GPU and 70ºC/158ºF for CPU.

Doutor

Estimable
Aug 18, 2015

So after almost a week of gaming, today it froze again while playing The Witcher 3. And the laptop was burning hot, but I didn't have the software opened so I cant really know what temperature it reached but it was REALLY hot