Laptop freezing/audio lag

RekoHart

Estimable
Jul 5, 2014
Hello everyone!

Recently my <2 month old laptop has been having some lag issues. Whether I am watching a video on youtube, playing a game from Steam, or watching a movie off the hardrive, the audio freezes multiple times, playing the same droning tone for a few seconds before continuing as normal. Sometimes it will continue to lag, changing tone. I've never experienced this issue, and after thoroughly searching my computer for spyware, I am at a loss. During these lag problems, the disk memory usage spikes/holds at 100%, while the actual RAM memory holds steady. The CPU % sometimes spikes to 100%, but only for a moment and irregularly.

Any help is appreciated, and if you need any info let me know. I can make the problem return easily, and will be posting a video shortly demonstrating the problem.

zink1701

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
Monitor your thermals using core temp and see how high the temps spike, it sounds like it could be overheating. We have an old laptop that does the same thing, I had to purchase a cooling tray for it as it was like having a small furnace on my knee.

RekoHart

Estimable
Jul 5, 2014
I downloaded a program for monitoring it and right now this is what it is reading:

CPU 1:73 / 163
CPU 2:79 / 174
CPU 3:76 / 168
CPU 4:74 / 165

Edit: Turned off the game and any tab with streaming sound/video. Temps dropped down to high 120's to low 130's

zink1701

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
is that Celsius? if so those temps are way to high. Under heavy load with stock cooling and no overclocks you should see temps no higher than low 80/high 70's. Are the vents clear from dust? Are the vents being blocked when in use? If they are clear then there is a problem with either The CPU cooler or the cooler is not seating correctly on the CPU. When on can you hear the CPU fan spinning?

RekoHart

Estimable
Jul 5, 2014
With no load, the temps are sitting around low 90's to mid 100's. The lag problem has yet to return, although a group of different problems have arisen. I am currently trying to duplicate the problem, before signing it off and solved.