Laptop Heating Issues

Luke_100

Commendable
Feb 5, 2017
I have a ASUS 17.3" Republic of Gamers Strix GL702VM Notebook and overall great laptop in my opinion except for one thing, heat. While plugged in to an AC outlet the laptop runs way hotter running up to about 85 °C for both the GPU and CPU while gaming on max settings. But when I unplug the laptop from the wall and go purely on battery my temps immediately drop to about 65 °C, but my battery life doesn't last long. So is their a way to make my laptop run cooler while plugged in. Also my battery is integrated. Please Help

Solution
Usually when a laptop is unplugged from mains power, it goes into a power saving/energy mode. Distributing resources at maybe 3/4 the speed, compared to full. It's most likely why you get the temperature drop, as it's reducing performance/power from the CPU and GPU to save battery life.

The only real way of improving the cooling of a laptop is by purchasing a laptop cooling pad. Quite cheap and really easy to find. It will not have a major affect, but you will notice an improvement in cooling. Plus, spraying some compressed air into the cooling vents to clear dust, will have positive effects on cooling.

However, gaming laptops naturally run hot, due to the form factor/size limitations, as well as the powerful hardware. Additionally...

Seaweed Monster

Estimable
Jun 7, 2014
Usually when a laptop is unplugged from mains power, it goes into a power saving/energy mode. Distributing resources at maybe 3/4 the speed, compared to full. It's most likely why you get the temperature drop, as it's reducing performance/power from the CPU and GPU to save battery life.

The only real way of improving the cooling of a laptop is by purchasing a laptop cooling pad. Quite cheap and really easy to find. It will not have a major affect, but you will notice an improvement in cooling. Plus, spraying some compressed air into the cooling vents to clear dust, will have positive effects on cooling.

However, gaming laptops naturally run hot, due to the form factor/size limitations, as well as the powerful hardware. Additionally, looking at the specs of your laptop. The temps you are hitting are probably about right.

Solution