Laptop keyboard problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannystaples

Prominent
Jul 22, 2017
Okay so I'm trying to fix my mum's friends Toshiba. It is a Satellite L450D-11V.

It's a fair age. The problem is when they upgraded to Windows 10, the space bar stopped working. Most of the keys work. It types well. Except for the space and a couple of the number keys.

I've had a look around and this was a very common problem. I've tried loads of stuff. Been at it for hours. Nothing worked driver wise. Reinstalled. Updated. Rolled back. Etc, etc.

Anyway so I figured. Perhaps it isn't a software/driver issue. Maybe the keyboard is simply worn out.

I got a new keyboard. Fitted it today. EXACTLY the same.

Decided to try going back to Windows 7 operating system. Loaded it onto a different hard drive. Updated all the drivers. NOTHING.

Am I right in starting to think that maybe the motherboard connection is starting to go?

Either I haven't got the full story and the space bar has been dying for ages. Or they upgraded to Windows 10 and then it died.

But I'm literally out of ideas now. I just don't want to have to go back to them empty handed unless I REALLY need to.

I rarely throw the towel in with troubleshooting. I can usually give a clear "Yeah it's knackered." or I fix it.

Any ideas appreciated.

Dannystaples

Prominent
Jul 22, 2017
Hi. Just to let you know I've fixed it. The motherboard connector was loose. Not sure how it happened but I've now fixed it with a bit of glue.

Mods, feel free to delete my post if you wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.