Laptop monitor gets 768 resolution, plug in external monitor and internal monitor jumps to 1050??

Status
Not open for further replies.

shdoyle

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
Ok,

My laptop is rated at 1366X768 resolution.
This is the(Recommended) and I can't seem to change the setting to be anything higher.

When I hook my laptop up to an external monitor - I can duplicate the screens and get 1680X1050 on my laptop. On some external monitors - I can change the external to higher than 1050, and still have my laptop at 1050.

The moment I unplug the external monitor, my laptop screen blinks out and comes back in 1366X768 and won't let me adjust higher.

I went into Intel Graphics Control Panel and saved a profile of my local monitor while it was in 1050 mode. But once I unplug the second monitor, if I try to load that profile - the app crashes.

Anyone have any idea how I can get the 1050 rez to stay after I unplug the external?

I have an Asus i7 laptop, Intel graphics 520,and Nvidia GeForce 920MX

Scottray

Respectable
Jul 14, 2016
There's no way you can get 1680x1050 if your laptop physically has a 1366x768 resolution display. Are you sure it's not the other way around? What version of Windows are you running? What version of the Nvidia GPU drivers to you have installed? Also, it would be helpful to have the exact model number of your laptop. Last, post some screen shots of the control panels that you're looking at. Then, maybe we can help solve the issue.

shdoyle

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017

Yes, I am sure it is not the other way around. Actually, both monitors get 1680X1050, so it is both ways around.
This is very peculiar, and interesting that it shouldn't be possible. I am not at home, give me an hour or so - I'll take screen shots showing the native resolution - which I CANNOT go above 768 under any "non-external monitor" conditions. And I'll show you the new resolution showing clearly 1680X1050 (and it's not just a number, it is very obviously the new resolution. The whole desktop is smaller).

Thanks for the response, I'm hoping there's some way to force it to keep the new res. Maybe someone else has seen this crazyness??

shdoyle

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
My laptop is ASUS VivoBook Max X541UV
https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ASUS-VivoBook-Max-X541UV/specifications/

I am running Windows 10 Home Edition 64-Bit - full current updates.

I do not have the touchscreen, just the normal 1366X768 panel.

Here is picture of it when it's disconnected. I have been trying for 2 weeks to expand it to a 1050 resolution. But after updating drivers, trying CRU, working with Intel custom Resolutions. I cannot find any way to make it go bigger than the (Recommended). I would have thought it was impossible.

The, I buy 2 used HP monitors -> HP Compaq LA2205wg
I plug one of them into the SVGA port on my laptop and this happens :

I go back into Intel graphics control panel(right click on desktop and choose "Intel Graphics Settings". ) and now this resolution is available to me. So I save the profile with these settings.

Then I disconnect the SVGA cable and the resolution goes back down to 768. I then choose the (saved)profile at 1050 :

And the control panel crashes :

Here, you can clearly see the difference in resolutions. It is definitely going to a 1680X1050

I am using the newest drivers for Intel, nVidia, and the monitor. I have been updating them over the last couple weeks.

Here are pics of my drivers for the 3 of them. Once again - 2 pictures to show the clear difference between my max resolution and the one I really want to keep

Any ideas on this one? Ever tried it with your laptop? The only way I can get this to work, is if I duplicate the displays and set it the higher one. As soon as I extend the displays or unplug the external, the internal reverts back to normal.

Thanks

Scottray

Respectable
Jul 14, 2016
As you plug in the external display, your laptop is sensing that it's a 1680x1050 external display. When you unplug it, it looks like it hasn't re-sensed that you removed the external display. Your laptop is 1366x768 and the external monitors are 1680x1050 native resolution. Nothing you can do to change that. You're seeing a software bug when it says built-in and 1680x1050 resolution.

shdoyle

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017

If I read your response correctly, you think that my laptop stays in 1050 mode after being unplugged from the external? No, it does not. The moment I pull the SVGA plug out, the monitor turns black and comes back on in it's native resolution.

The next part of your response, I think is saying that my resolution is not changing at all, but the "Display control panel" is just glitching and showing the resolution(just numbers) it detects from the external. Is this what you are saying? I am not claiming that the numbers change in the options. I am declaring that the resolution on my laptop's internal monitor is changing. Please look at these 2 pictures. You can clearly see the 2 different resolutions.

This is happening exactly as I am explaining it. I am not confused nor am I unfamiliar with computers and resolutions. Please suspend your disbelief, try it out on your own computer with different monitors - you may find similar results. (I am a college student, so I have the opportunity to plug my laptop into a lot of different externals, and I am finding this happening with many of them - both HDMI out and SVGA out.)

Because it WILL change, the limitation is NOT physical, it must be in the software somewhere, whether it's Windows, ASUS, nVidia or Intel. It must be in the drivers, firmware or OS. I can't help but think there may be a way to trick the laptop into thinking it's plugged into a higher rez display, or changing how it reads the 'non-physical' physical limitation.

Scottray

Respectable
Jul 14, 2016
As an electronics engineer with 30+ years of experience, I still say bullshirt. The laptop screen's physical resolution is 1366x768. It may drop to a lower resolution and/or change the icon scaling (which is what's probably happening in the pictures). But, there's no physical way for the screen to magically have an actual resolution greater than 1366x768.

shdoyle

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017

Ok - I'm willing to say you are right.

Lets say my internal monitor cannot have a greater resolution than what it is physically capable of. Can you please explain to me what determines that my resolution can go no higher than 1366X768?? What exactly sets that limitation and how does Windows determine that it cannot go more? How do you know that this monitor won't go any higher? Have you tested it?

Post for me a test- Any test I can run. Any way for a person to prove to another person what resolution their screen is. PLEASE tell me how to prove it.

Have you not considered, that this piece of physical hardware will actually go higher than what Windows 10 recognizes? Is it possible that physically it can go higher, but it is restricted in the firmware/drivers/OS to only be allowed to go to a certain size? Maybe instability issues are caused when pushed past what is 'Recommended'. Maybe the motherboard overheats because this laptop is not properly cooled for the extra power required for this resolution(so they restrict it)? Perhaps, this monitor is the same one sold in the more expensive 1050 version, but it's limited to be sold at a discounted price.

I'm sure that an electronics engineer with 30+ years experience is VERY familiar with all of these behaviors previously seen throughout the computer industry. You aren't the only person on these boards with decades of experience. I didn't feel it was necessary to state my experience because it never occurred to me that a request for assistance would lead to someone calling me a liar.. it never crossed my mind.

I have explained to you exactly what is happening. I have shown you countless pictures of what is happening. It is very clear that my monitor is going into 1680X1050 mode when I plug it into an external monitor. I am not posting this to troll or make something up - I genuinely want help figuring out how to maintain this resolution. If it is impossible for the hardware to do this... then it must be the software!!!! Are you really too stubborn to consider that possibility? With all your years experience? You cannot come up with any idea how this is happening except to call me a liar?

Is there no one else on this board with any actual experience in helping people? It is called "TomsGuide" not "Calling Y'all Liars". How about someone offering some help?

Scottray

Respectable
Jul 14, 2016
I didn't call you a liar. That's your interpretation. What I'm trying to point out is that the hypothesis that a display can have a higher resolution than it's rating and the test used to prove this hypothesis are faulty. The fact that is critical, is that any LED display is made of a grid of pixels. It is the common unit that determines a display's resolution, luminescence/brightness and color gamut. The pixels are arranged and manufactured in a grid. Thus, a display that is manufactured with 1366x768 pixels is exactly that configuration and no more (possibly slightly less, if there's a couple of dead pixels).

When a PC boots up, all the hardware communicates at a low level to determine exactly the hardware that is available on the PC. This information is than passed to the operating system when the OS loads. The software that does this is the display driver. Consequently, Windows knows that the laptop screen is 1366x768 pixels. Also, built into the display driver software is the ability for a user or software programs to a select lower resolution. In this case, a software algorithm is used to to group pixels together to mimic a lower resolution display. Also, built into Windows is a setting to adjust/scale the size of text, apps, icons, etc. Once again, this is a software algorithm to group pixels together. Notice that thru all of this, the physical number of pixels hasn't changed. Software has just grouped them together in different ways.

When an external monitor is plugged in, the hardware, drivers and Windows, detects that new hardware has been added to the system. It communicates with the new hardware to understand what it is and set up the configurations throughout the PC so that it can be used. Thus, the external monitor shows that its a 1680x1050 pixel monitor. When this external monitor is removed, Windows and the PC hardware is not so good at rescanning for the hardware change and clearing out all the underlying hardware information. Consequently, you found a software bug. The display driver correctly shows the name of the monitor as "Built-in". However, the resolution number of 1680x1050 didn't get cleared out correctly from the driver's memory location. Also, since this incorrect resolution number is available to Windows, it tries to rescale the display.

This could be proven if the source code to the drivers and Windows were available, the documentation to determine the correct hardware registers to read were available and the correct debugging tools were available. However, it still doesn't change the fact that the display is physically 1366x768 pixels.

shdoyle

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017

What does bullshirt mean in your world? That's a call out to someone lying. Every single post you have made is telling me that what I"m saying is wrong. You have not made even a single attempt at helping, nor assisting. Thus, I call Bullshirt on you. You are obviously someone that loves telling everyone else how smart you are. The truth is, you can show your intelligence without being a long-winded dullard. Good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.