Laptop motherboard issues

AJOKER21

Commendable
Apr 23, 2016
I got bored and took my old laptop apart, just for shits and giggles. I got the motherboard out without breaking anything, maybe a few clips but the screen was destroyed in the first place. So anyways I got the motherboard out and I put all the components back in but none of the ports work, the ports were all working just fine before I removed the casing because the USB mouse lit up on boot. Now none of them work including the HDMI or VGA. The motherboard is out of the shell that is the laptop and plugged into a VGA monitor with the power source being the original wall adapter if anyone has any ideas on what could be wrong/what I could do to fix it any is appreciated. This is hoping to just be used for a desktop alternative and if I'm sol that's fine.

mcnumpty23

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
why didnt you just remove the screen from the laptop? no reason to pull the motherboard

to be honest you could have done absolutely anything to it theres no real way to know where to start to help

and usually you need for external screen to work to enable it in the bios or toggle it with fn + another key

AJOKER21

Commendable
Apr 23, 2016
The make is Samsung and model is np365e5c-s03us

To answer you mcnumpty I pull the motherboard because I'm going to create a stand to mount to the back of the moniter to make a trashed all in one

mcnumpty23

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
could just have mounted the base of the laptop rather than the motherboard

for one thing would make it easier to turn on

i would suggest you put it back in the base to troubleshoot

and set the bios to external display

AJOKER21

Commendable
Apr 23, 2016
Yeah theres the power indicator LED and the charging LED both light upon pressing the power button, the fan comes on and everything just the ports don't work and the BIOS didn't have any options for that and this laptop was a royal pain in the ass to take apart and it makes it hard to access the needed components with the base attached

mcnumpty23

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011

what can they test with it out the base?

unless they can use a multimeter or something

You said "just the ports don't work" do you see a picture on the external monitor?

If you want to repair a motherboard, you will need to have access to it. If it's in the casing, nobody can repair it. An Electronics Technician can asked to test some voltages on the motherboard.

mcnumpty23

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011

yeah but they arent an electronic technician are they?

the ports worked before taking it out the base so taking it out the base was a bad idea

putting it back in the base they may actually notice that something isnt where it should be

Maybe you have no power from the adapter, a coil could be the problem, can you verify the voltage on the capacitors PC3 or PC4?