Laptop Not Charging after Power Surge

yeahnazri

Prominent
Mar 3, 2017
Hi, i've screwed up big time, I was using an offbrand charger for my Asus X555L and what I believe to be a power surge hit the school. My laptop shut off and would not switch on unless I put the charger back in.

It comes on and I think crisis averted. Its not charging. The charging light was on and it looked like it was charging but the battery level just kept going down.

as of now there isn't even enough power to boot it up or have a charging light, i've sent it to the shop and they aren't sure what broke (they suspect its on the motherboard)

I have put it through a multi meter, after reading another post on this forum and it shows that there is power going through the DC jack (19 volts) and very little power going through the place where you plug in the battery.

Does anyone know what I broke?

Solution

It's a possibility. Laptops in general do not have the same built in surge protection that a desktop's PSU has (a high quality on anyway). And when you throw in using a generic power brick not original to the laptop, anything can happen from poor voltage management to shorting something out.

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008

That's your answer. Something burned out in the battery connection interface between it and the PCB of the motherboard.

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008

It's a possibility. Laptops in general do not have the same built in surge protection that a desktop's PSU has (a high quality on anyway). And when you throw in using a generic power brick not original to the laptop, anything can happen from poor voltage management to shorting something out.

Solution

yeahnazri

Prominent
Mar 3, 2017

Thank you, hopefully there is a surge protector and it did its job. On a side note, while testing the motherboard with the multi meter I slipped and both probes touched the same point and there was a spark, has that by any chance made it worse?

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008

Honestly I don't know. It depends on the power and design of your tester. I would assume the built in circuitry of it would offer enough protection to block any harmful discharge, but I'm no expert on them. I just have a cheap one for testing PSUs.