Laptop Not Charging or Powering Via AC Adapter - Blows Fuses

PM_TH_17

Prominent
Mar 22, 2017
I have an Asus n550jv. Yesterday the 3A fuse in the plug on the charger blew and laptop obviously stopped charging. I replaced the fuse with another 3A and this blew immediately after connecting to the mains with the laptop end hooked up.
The laptop was still on at this stage and running off battery without any issue.
I tried a different cable between the block on the charger and the mains and I tried using a 5A fuse, with neither having an effect. The fuse did not blow this time but there is still no charging taking place.
Battery has now run out.
I opened it up, removed the battery and put it back and then tried with the 5A fuse again and still nothing.
There is no sign of burning on the laptop that I can see and no obvious smell.
The charger itself looks to be in prefect condition.
I purchased the laptop second-hand, about a week ago.

Is my issue likely to be a faulty charger or am I looking at something much worse?

Also possibly of note is it has been updated to Windows 10 and I'm not sure if any drivers for AC adapter were changed/needed to be changed by this process.

Solution
Ask friend for voltmeter/multimeter or buy one yourself, even cheap one is fine and check if charger gives out voltage, it should be written on label what voltage you need, most of times it is 19 volts. If there is none or low, your charger is dead, if there is correct voltage, try measuring it under some load, if it still doesn't drop it is probably your laptop.
As for windows 10, it doesn't affect charging at all.

Mister_MO

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016
Ask friend for voltmeter/multimeter or buy one yourself, even cheap one is fine and check if charger gives out voltage, it should be written on label what voltage you need, most of times it is 19 volts. If there is none or low, your charger is dead, if there is correct voltage, try measuring it under some load, if it still doesn't drop it is probably your laptop.
As for windows 10, it doesn't affect charging at all.

Solution

Arnav007

Prominent
Jul 2, 2017
Please help me... I have blown my fuse too... I'm not a computer genius but please help me in changing the fuse... Is there any way of opening it or i just have to cut through it...

Mister_MO

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016
Next time better make your own post.
If you cant find fuse on your adapter, then there is probably none. Fuses are most of time hidden behind marked doors on your adapter or cable with information about fuse that should go in.