Laptop not detecting NVIDIA GPU

Zylwyn

Estimable
Dec 4, 2015
My laptop is gone wrong about the GPU after I accidentally opened Windows 8 Upgrade from Acer that uninstalling drivers including the GPU which is NVIDIA. When I check the Device Manager it's gone... How to get it back??

Specifications
Processor: Intel Core i5-2410M
RAM: 3GB
GPU: nVidia GeForce GT540M CUDA 2GB

Solution
Laptop using other graphics card and not the Nvidia one.

First you need to get it to detect and use the right card.

A. Uninstall, and then reinstall, the latest graphics card driver.
B. Make sure that your Nvidia graphics card is set as the default graphics card.

Here's the steps on how to set it to default.

1. Open the "Nvidia Control Panel".
2. Select "Manage 3D Settings" under 3D Settings.
3. Click on the "Program Settings" tab and select the program you want to choose a graphics card for from the drop down list.
4. Now select "preferred graphics processor" in the drop down list. (You can see what the automatic option is listed as global setting) If you want to use the dedicated graphics card, select High-performance Nvidia...
Laptop using other graphics card and not the Nvidia one.

First you need to get it to detect and use the right card.

A. Uninstall, and then reinstall, the latest graphics card driver.
B. Make sure that your Nvidia graphics card is set as the default graphics card.

Here's the steps on how to set it to default.

1. Open the "Nvidia Control Panel".
2. Select "Manage 3D Settings" under 3D Settings.
3. Click on the "Program Settings" tab and select the program you want to choose a graphics card for from the drop down list.
4. Now select "preferred graphics processor" in the drop down list. (You can see what the automatic option is listed as global setting) If you want to use the dedicated graphics card, select High-performance Nvidia processor.

Once it is running on the right one, test the system again and see if the problem persists.

Solution

Shreddi

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
My laptop no longer recognizes Nvidia Video card too. Since Nvidia card is not recognized Nvidia software is not usable. Not in Device manager or system device log. So I'm thinking its Card itself or MB. I can try this card in another laptop and this one in that to determine. Will try bios first but has anyone experienced Not being able to access Nvidia control panel and solved? Thanks very much.