Laptop not detecting secondary harddrive

h00pla

Estimable
Jan 28, 2016
I dropped my laptop this morning (only 6-8"). Everything was working fine for about an hour

After installing a graphics driver my secondary HDD stopped being recognized. I restarted. The boot up took much longer than usual (about 30 seconds, primary is a SSD). There were also a couple beeps about 10-15 seconds apart that had never happened before.

Everything else is running fine. The secondary drive will be recognized randomly while working but results in slower performance and will freeze if I try to access anything.

It also takes longer to shut down and the same beep noises happen

Any ideas?

D_Know_WD

Estimable
Hi there h00pla,

Unfortunately, it is possible that the HDD got damaged from the fall. Try taking it out and see if the boot time would go back to normal. Also, I guess it will not hurt to attach the drive to a different system in order to be sure that all of this is caused by the HDD but not something else in the laptop.

In case the issue persists, I guess you will need to access the drive with some data recovery tool for DOS mode if you need your data.(most probably the OS based tools would freeze as well)
If you can't retrieve the data with even one of these, then you will need to contact a data recovery company if the data stored on it is crucial.

Let me know in case you have some more questions,
D_Know_WD

h00pla

Estimable
Jan 28, 2016

Thank you for the response. I tried putting the HDD in another laptop and it's the same slow down. Is there a program you would recommend both in windows or dos