Solved! Laptop randomly disconnects from wifi, even on different operating systems

James_595

Prominent
May 17, 2017
Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron 17" 5758 running Windows 10 and Ubuntu Linux 16 (came with windows 8). I got it a few years ago, and for the past year or so I've been experiencing issues where it would randomly disconnect from wifi. On windows 10, I would be using my internet connection, then suddenly it stops working so I look down and notice that it is no longer connected to the router. So I try to reconnect, and sometime it just keeps saying that it's connecting, but never connects. Or sometimes it just doesn't detect the wifi connections anymore at all. So my only solution has been to disable and then re-enable the wifi adapter, which then fixes the problem (it reconnects). On linux, I would be using my connection when suddenly I notice a drop and I have to hit the SSID again so it can reconnect, and it (usually) does. When it doesn't, I have to disable networking and re-enable it, then that fixes it.
Other devices on my network usually do not experience these issues. I already tried reinstalling the drivers and such, on windows. But it does not work. I'm assuming it might be a hardware problem (NIC maybe?). If so, I was wondering if there is maybe a more up-to-date NIC that I could replace mine with (which is an Intel AC 3160), that would fit my laptop (IF that's the problem).
Thanks! Help would be appreciated.

Solution
Try this....

1. Go to "Control Panel".

2. Next go to "Network and Internet" and then "Network and Sharing".

3. Now click on "Manage Wireless Networks".

4. On this screen, remove all wireless connections by "right clicking" on it and select "Remove network" from the drop down menu.

5. After doing this, close the open windows and reboot the computer.

6. Once the computer is fully reloaded, scan for the "Wi-Fi networks".

7. Click on the available network that you want to access and select "connect".

8. It takes a moment, but then you will be asked to give a password for your Wi-Fi connection. Type in the password and click the "connect" button.

It should now be connected.

NOTE: If this doesn't work, you may want to reset your...
Try this....

1. Go to "Control Panel".

2. Next go to "Network and Internet" and then "Network and Sharing".

3. Now click on "Manage Wireless Networks".

4. On this screen, remove all wireless connections by "right clicking" on it and select "Remove network" from the drop down menu.

5. After doing this, close the open windows and reboot the computer.

6. Once the computer is fully reloaded, scan for the "Wi-Fi networks".

7. Click on the available network that you want to access and select "connect".

8. It takes a moment, but then you will be asked to give a password for your Wi-Fi connection. Type in the password and click the "connect" button.

It should now be connected.

NOTE: If this doesn't work, you may want to reset your modem/router, and then once it is fully loaded again, repeat the above steps.

If this doesn't work, test seeing if your laptop will connect via Ethernet. If so, then your WiFi card may be going. You can either look to replace it/have it replaced, or get an external (plugs in via USB) WiFi card.

Solution

mtucci

Prominent
Jul 7, 2017
Also i would suggest go to Dell website, check your laptop model and download the last driver for your WiFi card. A similar situation happened to me, when updated my laptop from 8.1 to windows 10