Laptop screen not functioning after VGA use to a desktop monitor

tatum95

Estimable
Feb 26, 2015
I connected my laptop to my desktop monitor with a VGA cable, I chose to only display the screen on the desktop not the laptop, I then removed the VGA cable without setting it back to normal, now my laptop screen is black, I have tried reconnecting the same VGA cable to the same monitor but no luck, I have also restarted the laptop many times, I have even tried a hdmi cable but still blackness on the laptop or no display on the desktop monitor.

Solution
according to your laptops manual

FN + F4 Changes the active display device.To use a simultaneous mode, you must set the resolution of the internal display panel to match the resolution of the external display device.

also go through trouble shooting it may be of a help!

chris987

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
on most laptops there are shortcut buttons for changing inputs,(fn key and F or just an F key usually) if you cant find the correct one, shut down the laptop and remove a/c adapter and battery. install battery or/and a/c adapter and try again.!

tatum95

Estimable
Feb 26, 2015
I have just done what you advised but nothing happened, I have also tried windows button + P and same combo with the functional button and a few other keys as well.

I can log into my laptop but only if I turn it on, shut the screen straight away then wait for the start up tone then the in my used password until the log on tone plays then nothing I press the keys before and after logging on. I am really stuck here. The only thing I can think of doing is logging on and press in the windows button and to keep tabbing and using the Aaron keys until I get to the resolution settings, I think I can relate here with out vision by counting and mimicking on my other computer

tatum95

Estimable
Feb 26, 2015

I have to hold down the function key and the fast forward button to make it F8 which makes the screen open and it wont start unless it is closed, another issue is a can't see what option to select if it does actually go to the safe mode options, I'm flying blind and I don't know what to press, so I press enter assuming "start in safe mode" is the first option and the monitor for the desktop still says "no VGA" i press fn + f, windows +P and a few other combos but nothing.

I tried navigating to the screen options menu through tabbing and arrowing down and selecting items by mimicking my desktop but it seems to be to complex.

tatum95

Estimable
Feb 26, 2015

Toshiba Satelitte Pro L850
I have tried using a HDMI cable but nothing, I have used my tv with both a HDMI and VGA cable but nothing.

I am certain it was set on a VGA cable with display picture only on external monitor.

chris987

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
according to your laptops manual

FN + F4 Changes the active display device.To use a simultaneous mode, you must set the resolution of the internal display panel to match the resolution of the external display device.

also go through trouble shooting it may be of a help!

Solution