Laptop Shuts Down When I Disconnect the Power Cord

SerenityXD

Prominent
Apr 8, 2017
So I have had my ASUS x540L for about a year or so without any trouble. However, it has recently started to produce problems. It refuses to boot up unless it's plugged into a power supply. In the rare occasions it does, the computer doesn't last more than a minute without shutting down completely. I have attempted to replace the battery, but the issue still persists. I know the battery has charge, as I have tested it with a multimeter. Whenever I disconnect the power cord, the computer shuts down completely. I have also attempted to change the power settings, but it does not resolve the issue either.

Any help is highly appreciated. Thank you!

Solution
That could be an issue with the laptops power distribution. It can be powered and charged from AC, but can't use the power from the battery.

The battery could also not be charging properly, causing it to have a charge but not strong enough to provide enough power for the laptop to boot. This would also be an issue with power delivery. Technically your AC adapter could be to blame, but it is doubtful this is the case since your laptop runs fine from it.

In either case you probably would not be able to fix it yourself. I'd check if your laptop is still under warranty and/or send it to a service centre. I really can't help you further since those kind of repairs are outside of my expertise.

Good luck!

J_E_D_70

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Sounds like a physical problem with the power delivery system where it can't detect and move from wall power to battery. That's a trip to the repair store or warranty if it still has one.

If really old, better to just replace.

JochemR

Prominent
Apr 8, 2017
That could be an issue with the laptops power distribution. It can be powered and charged from AC, but can't use the power from the battery.

The battery could also not be charging properly, causing it to have a charge but not strong enough to provide enough power for the laptop to boot. This would also be an issue with power delivery. Technically your AC adapter could be to blame, but it is doubtful this is the case since your laptop runs fine from it.

In either case you probably would not be able to fix it yourself. I'd check if your laptop is still under warranty and/or send it to a service centre. I really can't help you further since those kind of repairs are outside of my expertise.

Good luck!

Solution
If you had a spill incident, GOOGLE on how to deal with this situation.

If you are using a third party charger, that could be the problem.

Do you know how worn this battery is? You tested with a multimeter you say..... getting a voltage reading is not enough to ascertain the health of the battery.