Question Laptop shuts down when under load

Mar 23, 2021
My laptop is HP Pavillion dv6-6b56er (core i7-2670qm, Radeon 6700m, 6g RAM, Windows 10). I've had it for some time. Battery stopped working on it long time ago, I've been using it as is. After my house had a power surge I had to replace charging cable, managed to find one with exact same parameters. But after that when I launch high load software (like games) it can shut off compeletely. I took it to repair and they said the issue might be overheating, so they cleaned it. But still after that the problem continues. I managed to create a power plan that keeps it in working order, but it significantly cuts off performance and laptop still randomly shuts off during Windows updates. Looking for suggestions for what the problem might be, what should I look for or where should I point the repairmen towards next time I take it in.

Apr 7, 2021
To make sure, did you replace just the cable or the entire power adapter/brick? If you got an entirely new charger, then it makes sense...your laptop shuts down when the power adapter can't handle the power spike. It's kind of common in desktop computers too.
To make sure whether it's overheating or insufficient power, run a benchmark app and monitor power/clock and temps.
Also, I recommend fixing/replacing the battery. It's a laptop after all :)

Mar 23, 2021
To make sure, did you replace just the cable or the entire power adapter/brick? If you got an entirely new charger, then it makes sense...your laptop shuts down when the power adapter can't handle the power spike. It's kind of common in desktop computers too.
To make sure whether it's overheating or insufficient power, run a benchmark app and monitor power/clock and temps.
Also, I recommend fixing/replacing the battery. It's a laptop after all :)
After receiving some answers about it most likely being AC adapter issue, I went ahead and bought a more powerful charger. And I think the problem is no more! An off-brand charger with exact same specs as the one that CE with laptop was underperforming enough for my laptop to shutdown when under load. The new charger is fully compatible, I got one with the highest specs that are specified under the battery of the laptop.

Reactions: RandomTechPerson
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Laptop Tech Support 5
F Laptop Tech Support 5
jankeza Laptop Tech Support 9
S Laptop Tech Support 0
Z Laptop Tech Support 0
Haika Laptop Tech Support 0
Milknees Laptop Tech Support 0
B Laptop Tech Support 0
P Laptop Tech Support 1
tronichub Laptop Tech Support 1