Laptop uses Intel HD Graphics instead of dedicated GPU (GeForce 705M)

riodzaki

Commendable
Jul 4, 2016
I have a Lenovo E431 with Windows 8.1 installed where last night, I was playing CS GO casually and decided to upgrade my nvidia drivers when suddenly my laptop went bsod and had the "driver_irql_not_less_or_equal (nvldmkm.sys)" problem which i fixed earlier today. After starting it for the first time after the error, I tried playing CS GO again where I noticed the fps was slightly lower and my laptop gets flipping hotter than usual when playing CS GO. I realised it was using the integrated gpu and was taking all the ram. I searched for solutions and everyone of them leads to Nvidia Control Panel but, it won't open stating that "NVIDIA Display settings are not available." I checked in drivers manager and it has the HD Graphics 4000 and the GeForce 705M there but the nvidia gpu isn't being used in any game. Can someone find a solution to this as I missed my FPS eversince :)

Solution
Call your manufacturer, they will likely be willing to give you another copy.

They may also tell you that your laptop has a recovery partition that can be interfaced with in BIOS and can restore the machine to factory.

riodzaki

Commendable
Jul 4, 2016
I'm actually pretty worried doing system restore because if the laptop has missing files, I'm probably unable to fix it as i don't have (or most likely lost) the the DVD disc / thumb drive that came with the laptop. Any other possibilities?

weberdarren97

Estimable
Aug 10, 2015
Call your manufacturer, they will likely be willing to give you another copy.

They may also tell you that your laptop has a recovery partition that can be interfaced with in BIOS and can restore the machine to factory.

Solution