laptop...whats best company

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brick88

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
i actually like the macbook idea. they are pretty competitive in price considering their size and weight and specs.

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
ASUS G1 is da BEST..................

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3454

Yes, on paper and in Jpegs ASUS notebooks look good, but I have heard bad things about ASUS's Quality Control and Tech Support.

They started selling them at BestBuy though.

brad81987

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2005
I am a reseller, and have been for over 10 years.
I have sold, in that time, over 200 laptops, from around 8 different companies.
I have built around 40 laptops from barebones chassis up.

Here are the facts:
1) Avoid Gigabyte - their optical drives fail revoltingly often.
2) Avoid ASUS (at least in New Zealand) as the repair service can take upwards of 2 months. Mainboards can have "issues".
3) Avoid laptops which do not have a magnesium, or aluminium frame. If you can twist it, it's a piece of crap.
4) Make sure that you get WIFI and Bluetooth built in.
5) The most reliable laptops in the world are made by Toshiba - no one else even comes close.
6) Avoid Sony, unless you have money where your brain should be.
7) Avoid plastic where possible: dropping will **** it.

That's about all I can pass along to you.
That's perfect advice! I followed that pretty much, except for the Toshiba part, and got a Dell Latitude D820 for school. The Mg case is great, the thing hardly flexes at all and i can push on the back of the LCD almost as hard as i want and the screen wont distort. I have the 9cell primary and 6cell modular batter and can get 5.5-6 hours out of it, not bad for a 15.4" The WUXGA screen is also awesome. i love all the screen real estate and will never get anything less again. Using someone elses laptop with a WXGA screen drives me up the walls. Graphics could be a little more powerful, but it is a business notebook. You can also find the fully loaded docking station (D/Dock) with the modular bay and a pci slot, for well under $100 on ebay. And FWIW, my roomate has an Asus (A8 i think). He's only had it for about 9 months and the screen hinges are blown to crap. It flops back and forth over about a 45* range, which is absurd and the battery life blows. Just my $0.02

ihateibuypower

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
aright yeah i was looking at the 12 cell on the hp and its fucking big...i guess all i need for battery power is 4 hours while running a few programs such as microsoft office and itunes and firefox and shit...i would like it to be somewhat thin, and stylish. i can deal with 14 inches seeing as its not that bad to watch stuff on...any last suggestions?...also help me with the battery part plz...if you thing 6 cell is fine for the above, then tell me

engrpiman

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
lenovo / IBM thinkpad

My fiend got one and it game loaded with some nice software like diskeepr but they refrained from loading spyware on the computer if i getting a notebook i am going for lenovo .. I am tired on the crap HP, DELL and the others give you .. why pay for windows if you have to reformat and reinstall ASAP .. WHO CAN STAND THE HOME VERSIONS OF WINDOWS .. its all about XP pro / vista Business and Lenovo loads that

azzman

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I'm currently using a Dell Inspiron 8600 I bought 3 years ago. I'm very happy with it.

I had my keyboard replaced after a key broke, but I received the new one 2 days after I called them. My burner broke, and I also got that 2 days after I made the call. Other than these 2 things, I've had no problems at all.

No matter who you buy from, get a nice 3 year warranty. Return-to-depot is crap and they'll keep your laptop for weeks, unless you're lucky. These warranties are definitely worth the money.

Musashi40

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
My work provided a new Dell "state of the art" computer and one month later the hard drive crashed. The problem with this "state of the art" computer and hard drive was that once the hard drive crashed it was not recoverable at all. Nice improvement Dell.

xerohour

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
1: As much as you would love to go with an Nvidia discrete card, I would highly advise against it. Most major manufacturers have reworked their laptops to runa t a high rpm fan speed (aka, noisy as hell), to compensate for overheating nvidia cards. At the moment, ATI is making much more stable discrete video cards for the laptop market. If your going with on board video, then Nvidia is a viable solution.

2: Toshiba and Lenovo are probably the most reputable, and well built laptops on the market. They are expensive for their technical specifications, however. Asus is excellent if you are in the US(I cant be sure of anywhere else). Out of 6 Laptops I have recommended to friends and the two I have owned myself, I only had to send one back, because it was damaged on arrival(UPS must have had a field day with it). They had it back to me in 5 days, and they paid for shipping. The thing I like about Asus is that they have a good base warranty of 2 years and one year of accidental damage. There notebooks are also priced well.

3. I just realized that I responded to an ancient revived thread. Someone shoot me.....

bonecrush

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
I have dell inspiron 1520. tis a c2d 2ghz, 8600gt
my option would be dell xps 1530 its even a good looking laptop
ihave watched my dads hp keep on getting bsod. and after recovering from that it could not even handle winxp properly ( i do note it has a sticker saying it is vista ready)

Wisecracker

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
I have dell inspiron 1520. tis a c2d 2ghz, 8600gt
my option would be dell xps 1530 its even a good looking laptop
ihave watched my dads hp keep on getting bsod. and after recovering from that it could not even handle winxp properly ( i do note it has a sticker saying it is vista ready)

Dell, HP Lists Reveal Defective NVIDIA Mobile GPUs
http://www.dailytech.com/Dell+HP+Lists+Reveal+Defective+NVIDIA+Mobile+GPUs/article12553.htm
August 3, 2008

""It turns out virtually all the NVIDIA mobile chips are defective. NVIDIA tried to brush off the issue stating that the issue was a "previous-generation" problem. However, it turns out that virtually all 8400M and 8600M chips are defective. These chips make up the bulk of NVIDIA's higher end graphics offerings. While NVIDIA started to roll out the first of its 9 series mobile chips, the 8 series represents the flagship line of its mobile offerings.

The low to middle end chips are also virtually all defective. Among the defective lines are the GeForce Go 7000 and 6000 lines, as well as the Quadro NVS 135M and the Quadro FX 360M.
""

You guys are replying to a 15-month-old thread...

Like that has ever stopped anyone before ... :p

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
hey guys what would you say the best company for buying a laptop is?...alienware and voodoo and falcon-nw are too pricy...and i customized a fairly good laptop for a good price with HP...what do you guys think is the best company to go with? budget around 1500

Do not go with Alienware. I have an Alienware laptop and it died after 1 1/2 years usage. The technical department at Alienware are nasty and have no people skills what-so-ever! The customer service department will ignore your complaints and just feed you what you want to hear and are not helpful. Just my 2 cents worth.

Back in 2003 when I was looking for a laptop for myself, I simply went with an IBM (Lenovo now) Thinkpad T41 (with a Radeon 7500, WOOT!!! [j/k]). It's more of a business laptop, but it serves me well even today when I periodically use it.

Not recommended for gaming, but "gaming" wasn't mentioned in the original post.

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
It depends on what you want to do with your laptop. Right now Apple has the best offering out there in terms of price, power, and style. You can also install Windows on your Macbook and use that if you'd like. (A nice feature if you want to skip shovelware and Vista.)

uguv

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Wow this thread just won't die. It's been necro'd twice now.

And no, Apple isn't the best when you consider price. They are nice machines but way overpriced. Right now I'd put Gateway in the lead in terms of bang/buck value.

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Actually yes the Macbook is. Apple just doesn't make a low end line.

Macbook

Dell XPS

The macbook is much more in line with the top end Dell XPS listed above, on the far right, in terms of components. Apple even has a better video card, better integrated webcam, and much better case.

If you want a budget machine then Apple isn't the brand for you. They target the mid to high range systems. Now if you're looking for a gaming laptop Apple isn't it.

pip_seeker

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I bought this fx gateway model here back in late june for around $1100 and the specs were actually a bit better then than now... but it's a good machine that is just about like a pocket workstation.

I got a T5550 (1.8ghz C2D) and 4gb ram with mine, but I think that is really the only difference.

There were some minor annoyances as it doesn't take long and you get warnings that D drive is full because gateway sets up the D drive as your backup drive and it's not set up very big. If you install a few games it won't be long and you have to shut off the backup stuff or install a new hard drive.

Mine also came with vista home prem 64bit.

This thing handles any game including crysis with ease... provided you go lax on settings.

It's a bit on the big side to lug around, put if you like power this thing rocks!

The Nvidia 8800M GTS is kick ass for games. I think you will be hard pressed to find a laptop with that good of a video card installed.

Plus mine has support for second monitor, HDMI out, eSATA, 1394 firewire, 3 usb, network, 56k modem.

really good solid notebook.

http://www.bestbuy.com/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat142900050008&type=category