laptop...whats best company

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

uguv

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Yeah, that's the model I was talking about pip_seeker. Those specs with an 8800M GTS for $1130 is pretty amazing.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
lenovo / IBM thinkpad

My fiend got one and it game loaded with some nice software like diskeepr but they refrained from loading spyware on the computer if i getting a notebook i am going for lenovo .. I am tired on the crap HP, DELL and the others give you .. why pay for windows if you have to reformat and reinstall ASAP .. WHO CAN STAND THE HOME VERSIONS OF WINDOWS .. its all about XP pro / vista Business and Lenovo loads that

If you have to travel alot for work, you would come to love the Lenovo's. I am using a T-61P typing this right now. 2.4 Ghz dual core, 3GB RAM, 120Gb HDD, Nvidia Quadro graphics (great for CAD, not so great gaming). I had a Toshiba before this which treated me well but this one is alot more durable. Lenov caters to business so you wont get bloatware.

Grant1872x

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
Companies shouldn't matter, it all comes down to the specs for me, and IMO only the customer service is the thing I look for in the company...

saira

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
hi
i want to buy a laptop.but i dnt knw which one is the good one
i want to buy for a pharmacy point of view.so i can install a software.which one is good laptop?

jerseygamer

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007
Asus, Gateway, HP, Toshiba, Acer for quality and performance for your money in the order I listed them.

As a person who has probably fixed over 500 laptops in my life so far I can say Dell is about the biggest pile of dung you can buy. Dont waste your money. Then again if nobody bought Dell I would not make much cash after my full time job. I swear to god. Every recomendation I have ever made on laptop purchase has been solid. People that own Dell already or dont listen and buy them anyways are 90% of my buisness. Such a hudge POS line of products. Right up there with macbooks. I will admit pretty much all apple products are at the bottom of the line for quality Dell is VERY close.

Anna5409sj

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007

Anyone agree with this guy?

I hope you follow threads you comment in because I'd like you to expand on your statements. ;-)

Do you mean Dell's line from their Inspirions to Latitudes? Older generation to current?

Latitudes D600 series to D800 series to XPS 13 and 16 to the Precisions? Which Dells are we talking about here?

Which laptops do you like to repair? Which are easy or relatively easy? Thinkpads? Also, which generation of whatever brand you prefer?

I would like someone to recommend to me a laptop that has a good screen, decent graphics, eSATA and is stable/sturdy (so probably a business line laptop unless it's a multimedia one that is well-built - rare?). I'd like a good screen because I use my computer to watch movies/videos and I like eSATA because I need extra storage space to store my data. Laptop drives are bigger these days but I prefer to have my data and OS separate anyway.

So, which laptop? Budget $1500 and under.... I think over that is getting kinda high although if it's a world beater, I'd consider....

Dalemite

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
I LOVE my Lenovo T60. With the 7200MaH battery it lasts about 4 hours before it whines about juice. It's very simple looking, it plays WoW very well, and came with a lot of good software (WinDVD creator 3 > any other i've seen yet). It cost me less then 1400 also.

EDIT: Fujistu is terribad, HP's are ok, no xperience with Asus, Toshiba Satellites are crap, the Qosmio's are evil if you don't mind lugging around a cinder block. Alienware's overheat a lot from my past xperiences.

ampedal

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
Dell extended, they have excellent customer service.

unless you're comfortable with opening up your case...then pretty much the rest. Toshiba makes the highest quality laptops...IMO