Laptop will not boot. Screen is black. Capslock key flashes.

RwCCNA

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
I think I have already narrowed this problem down to the motherboard in some way.

Once the power button is pressed. The fans and lights come on. The circular HP logo on the back of the screen lights up, but the screen stays black (completely). The network light lights up. The capslock key flashes a steady 3 second interval. The fans also turn on.

I have checked the RAM.
I ran a HDMI to another screen and tried to swap the display with "fn"
I tried to boot to a live Linux boot.
I attempted power reset tutorials found on HP's site and forums.
I removed batteries and tried AC power only.

Any other ideas?

I feel it is the motherboard, but would like a second opinion first before I rule this laptop out.

Thanks!

Velix007

Honorable
Sep 5, 2013
I had this problem with an HP back when I had one (the flip screen one).
It was my GPU it had completely burned out and wouldnt boot, but if it was this it would work with the screen output wouldnt it?

RwCCNA

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012

If the GPU burned out, then the screen output would not work regardless of what screen I send it to.

Velix007

Honorable
Sep 5, 2013

Then it could be that, of course I could be wrong.
Just speaking from personal experience with an HP and a laptop that had the same problems.

RwCCNA

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012

I can't remember what code list I was looking at, but it was not telling me anything. Once you told me this I searched for the code list again and found one that actually makes sense. The code definitely is Code 1. Thanks for your help. I guess ill see if I can pull it and reseat it.

Thanks! I'll update this thread with how it went.

charleson1

Estimable
Aug 29, 2015
i encounter the same problem. when i turned on my ASUS A42JR, power LED is on, caplock LED on. the CD drive run when starting up and able to eject. the computer heat up as usual but the fan is not running. Before having black screen, I encounter some problem like vertical lines on screen and popup at task bar mentioning warning graphic card crash and solved/ recovered. Then the next time I open my computer, it couldn’t turn on anymore. I tried hooking up to external display, removing HDD, removing memory card, booting with external power only, booting with batt and booting with external power and batt but still couldn’t work. Kindly advise me how can I solve it and what is the problem. Thanks