Laptop with solid specs has trouble running games

abootflock

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016
Hey everyone -

Recently I've purchased a Dell Inspiron 17 5000, and it's been doing me pretty well. However, I have some frame-y/visual problems with a whole bunch of games, and am kind of confused at how this could be the case.

Specs:

• Intel Core i7-6500U Processor 2.5GHz
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    16GB DDR3L-1600 RAM
    2TB 5,400RPM Hard Drive
    AMD Radeon R5 M335
    (also has Intel HD Graphics 520 listed under display adapters)
It's also sitting on a fanning/cooling pad.

Does anyone have any idea of why some games with pretty simple graphics have problems running? Any and all input is appreciated.

Solution
Check to see that you are using the discrete graphics adapter.
If you are on battery or the power settings are balanced, windows may be selecting the slower integrated graphics adapter.

chris987

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
you have a full hd monitor however your hardware (dual core i7 + low end gpu M335 ) isnt capable of 1080p gaming. 720p with low setting is what it is meant for. ensure enduro is working as intended (must auto switch from igp to gpu when gaming) also make sure you have the latest drivers installed.

http://www.amd.com/Documents/enduro-how-to-guide.pdf

abootflock

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016

This seemed to do the trick! I went into AMD Catalyst Control Center and turned on high performance for all of the games I was having trouble with. I also changed my battery settings from Balanced to High Performance on Windows control panel. Games run much smoother and w/o error now, it seemed the problem was that my computer was using my integrated graphics card instead of my dedicated one.

Thanks for all of the help!

Ramanash

Commendable
Mar 11, 2016

Hello! I have a similar problem with mine, it's almost the same laptop, only that mine has half the disk storage and RAM. The thing is that i already tried those things but it seems the GPU is not even working. I tried disabling the Intel graphics but the Radeon didn't even flinch. I try running a game (assasins creed rogue) disabling each one at a time and it runs better with the Intel only on (like 30 fps) and if i disable it it goes down to 4, i can't even use the menu. Do you guys know what's happening? I feel that the laptop is not able to use the card. I tried more than 5 times reinstalling all the AMD drivers but with no luck.