Laptop won't charge unless shut down. Randomly connects and disconnects if it is on.

Brandon_179

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017
The issue is that my laptop won't charge properly when I'm using it. It will randomly connect and disconnect for about 20 minutes before it eventually stays disconnected. It will only stay connected when it is shut down.

I've tried replacing the charging port on it but the problem still persists.

Solution
If it will only charge when turned off, it is highly likely that the adapter cord needs replacing.

If it was just a bad battery, then it wouldn't charge well no matter if the laptop was on or off.

However when a charger is not putting out the right amount of power to both charge the battery and run the device, at the same time, it will only charge the battery when the laptop is turned off.
If it will only charge when turned off, it is highly likely that the adapter cord needs replacing.

If it was just a bad battery, then it wouldn't charge well no matter if the laptop was on or off.

However when a charger is not putting out the right amount of power to both charge the battery and run the device, at the same time, it will only charge the battery when the laptop is turned off.

Solution