Solved! Laptop won't switch on with or w/o battery

Jun 27, 2021
Hi,

I have an Asus P355M laptop, a few days ago it just wouldn’t switch on. I’ve plugged it to the power outlet with the battery intact, and tried it after disconnecting the internal battery as well, it still doesn’t power on. The power plug seems to be working as there’s a blue light.

A few days before this happened I noticed the area near the motherboard and fan was a bit warm while the laptop was switched off(but still plugged in to the power outlet). Even when I was trying it w/o the battery connected that area was slightly warmer.
6SNsG4G1aSdDuBAt.standard

Note: The battery capacity has gone down drastically for the past few years. It’d removable but you have to open up the laptop to access it.

What could be the issue?

Solution
If you do anything inside I recommend you get the service manual for this machine (usually they can be found on the internet) and follow the manual directions. As I mentioned, when the external charger is plugged in, a few spots on the motherboard may get warm.

Hard to say what is wrong. Could be as simple as a bad switch. I suggest a repair shop.
Jun 27, 2021
You can expect the laptop to get slightly warm when plugged in as the internal battery charging circuitry is active. Did you open the laptop before this issue happened? Did you touch the motherboard?

Should the motherboard be warm? Everywhere else was cool though. I'm not entirely sure but I also don't recall that area being warm before.

I've never opened up this laptop before. Didn't touch the motherboard either.

If you do anything inside I recommend you get the service manual for this machine (usually they can be found on the internet) and follow the manual directions. As I mentioned, when the external charger is plugged in, a few spots on the motherboard may get warm.

Hard to say what is wrong. Could be as simple as a bad switch. I suggest a repair shop.

Solution
Jun 27, 2021

Thank you, a new adapter's on its way now. Hopefully it works!