Laptop won't turn off after update

Jul 3, 2018
recently updated my Lenovo Ideapad 110 -- today, in fact. It seemed fine, but a few hours later, it froze and now it won't turn off. During this, I had just had my external hard drive plugged in and unmounted it properly. It umounted, but the screen suddenly froze and my music stopped.

I've unplugged it and tried holding down the power button for 30 seconds and that did nothing. The battery is internal, and I'm uncertain if I should try to take it out.

At the moment, it's sitting to the side, unplugged, screen still frozen while I wait for it to hopefully die and this can be fixed. Any other ideas? I'm getting really worried.

Solution
The holding button does nothing if the battery is in.

You can, in almost all laptops, pull the battery. It is, however, quite complicated in some. So if you are not familiar with it, or don't feel comfortable doing it yourself (or if it is under warranty don't open it up), then you will have to wait until it runs out of power.
The holding button does nothing if the battery is in.

You can, in almost all laptops, pull the battery. It is, however, quite complicated in some. So if you are not familiar with it, or don't feel comfortable doing it yourself (or if it is under warranty don't open it up), then you will have to wait until it runs out of power.

Solution