Laptop won't turn on with hdd caddy

Wesc

Estimable
Oct 20, 2014
I recently bought a new ssd drive and put it in my main hard drive bay on my Acer aspire 5560 and installed a windows 7 home premium on it. I planned to put my old hdd into a caddy in the optical drive slot.

In bios the cd driveis at the bottom of the boot list and my ssd on the top, my computer boots fine without the hdd in place, however when i put the hdd caddy into the computer and try to turn it on it shows the power light and i can hear the hdd spinning up as well as a flashing light from the caddy (flashes red and blue) but nothing appears on the laptop screen.

so far i have tried playing with the switch on the hdd caddy, ive tried booting with it in all 3 positions.

Wesc

Estimable
Oct 20, 2014
Update: I did a bit of reading and it i came to the conclusion that inserting my drive with the laptop on would be ok.

When the laptop is on I can insert the caddy and the computer recognizes it (blue light from caddy) and I can access all files, however when I restart thr laptop, it wont even go to bios I just hear the hard drive faintly