Solved! Laptop won't turn on

Ic3Sandman

Estimable
Mar 15, 2015
Hello there!

I'm trying to fix my friend's Lenovo IdeaPad 100-15iby.
He accidentally tripped over the USB cord that was connecting the laptop and his phone, and at that moment the laptop just went kaput (the phone is ok btw).
The power LED on the laptop just keeps blinking, the manual says that the blinking LED indicates that the laptop is in sleep mode.
When I connect the AC adapter the battery LED turns on, which is what it normally does.
Holding the power button for more than 5 sec turns it off.
Holding the power button for more than 5 sec, with the AC adapter plugged, in briefly turns it off, and then it goes back to being all blinky and stuff.

I opened up the laptop and have tried the following:
-disconnecting the battery and holding the power button for 30 sec
-clearing CMOS
-reseating the RAM stick
-pressing the NOVO button (which supposedly resets the laptop to factory settings or something like that), I did that with the HDD removed

Also the CPU gets hot when it stays in the "sleep mode" for a while.
I'm really scratching my head over here; it's a curious problem it seems

Thanks for your time

Solution
if you remove the battery the sleep state should stop, also you removed the cmos battery the mainboard is not working properly now

the usb port used to charge or transfer files, is it in good shape, what happened to the cable?

the usb port itself the pins inside it, check if one bent and if you can do anything with it, other than that well, warranty or buy another minboard, but this model is cheap, the part will be as expensive as another laptop, consider selling the arts as spare parts on ebay or something like that

atljsf

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015
the lenovo key works only when the system has booted, not before

if it is under warranty and opening it didn't voided warranty take it to warranty

other than that i presume the mainboard or the display got damaged in the cable encounter

Ic3Sandman

Estimable
Mar 15, 2015

Thanks for your reply. You think that the the accident with the cable could have shorted something on the board?
I hooked up the laptop to the monitor and it also didn't show anything, so I'm not sure that the display is damaged.
It just seems to be stuck in perma sleep mode

atljsf

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015
if you remove the battery the sleep state should stop, also you removed the cmos battery the mainboard is not working properly now

the usb port used to charge or transfer files, is it in good shape, what happened to the cable?

the usb port itself the pins inside it, check if one bent and if you can do anything with it, other than that well, warranty or buy another minboard, but this model is cheap, the part will be as expensive as another laptop, consider selling the arts as spare parts on ebay or something like that

Solution