Laptop's Screen Considered Disconnected after Unplugging Monitors

Tokage

Estimable
Jul 2, 2015
I have an MSI GT70 2PC Dominator, and what I believe caused this is that I started working with NVIDIA gamestream today, and I usually have my laptop plugged in with the display off and two monitors plugged in. I unplugged my two monitors today because I was planning to re-arrange my setup and my laptop's monitor wouldn't show anything. I was definitely still working because I could get windows error sounds by randomly typing on the keyboard. Anyone have an idea to fix this issue, I'm going on a trip Sunday, and would really like to have my notebook for it. I kind of started to go off on a tangent there, but I think NVIDIA Gamestream defaulted my laptop's screen to be off.

All help is extremely helpful and greatly appreciated!!!

Tokage

Estimable
Jul 2, 2015

If I plug both in, it displays fine, if I just plug one in it sets my laptop as the main display and I can't see the screen resolution window.

ShadyHamster

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Try disabling the monitors in windows display settings before removing them, this will force all open windows onto the laptop screen.

Just out of curiosity, does that laptop have the switchable graphics option (lets you switch between the iGPU and the Nvidia card) like the newer laptops?

Tokage

Estimable
Jul 2, 2015

I can try switching to the iGPU, but I did try the first fix, nothing :/

Tokage

Estimable
Jul 2, 2015

So disabling the iGPU didn't fix it, but if I only have the NVIDIA card enabled it works just fine
I guess this will work for now
Just checked, if I enable iGPU again, it just black screens, so I have to plug a monitor into the notebooks VGA port (which is run by the intel iGPU) So if I'm stuck just using my NVIDIA card I'm pretty happy, because at least I can use the high end card in the machine.