Laptops without number pad

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanmcc

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Hello everyone,
I am in the market for a new ivy bridge laptop (I am willing to wait a few months for the full lineups to arrive). I was hoping to get a good 15 inch screen with an i7, but I loath keyboards with squished keys and ridiculously off-center trackpads.
Does anyone know of any options?

Thanks!

seanmcc

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
I mean how many of the mid-large size laptops nowadays have their trackpads way off to the left directly under the spacebar (which is pushed left because of the number pad).
I have no use for a number pad, and I feel that it makes the use of the keyboard that much harder.

The trackpad should always be centered on the H key on the keyboard.
In any other position - it would be 'off center' no matter what else was going on with the keyboard.
All kinds of bad things happen when you're typing with a trackpad under your palm/wrist.

roybotnik

Honorable
May 6, 2012
I agree, I hate numpads. I am a software developer and I've been gaming since doom, yet I've never used a numpad. It's insane how every powerful gaming laptop has a horrible numpad squished in. I can't imagine typing all day on an off-centered keyboard. It's stupid and useless. I see no reason in to sacrifice ergonomics just so I can have a duplicate set of number keys that I'll never use.

roybotnik

Honorable
May 6, 2012

Really? Is that why Apple and Lenovo don't put numpads on their laptops? I'm typing this on a W520 'workstation' thinkpad right now, no numpad! Too bad Lenovo crippled their whole lineup of thinkpads with no dedicated graphics and *** screens.

seanmcc

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011

Ok, granted I bet some people are fine sacrificing a centered keyboard and trackpad for the use of a numeric keypad. But I have absolutely no use for one and I really enjoy the setup on my old Toshiba a205 in which everything is perfectly centered.
Unfortunately while a macbook is rather ideal, it is a bit out of my price range. I do know of a few 15" thinkpads that lack a numpad (W and T), but I was hoping for a few more options.

beefybish

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012

He may be taking a minority position.. But telling him that doesn't answer his question.

His question was about someone helping him find one without an off centred touchpad, not "what do the majority like?"

edit1754

Distinguished
May 14, 2012

First thing's first: Don't hold it to priority to get a Core i7 processor unless you have a particular need for one. If you are looking for game performance, then you should look for fast GPU instead a fast CPU. If you have performance requirements other than game performance, then list them.

If you don't have a particular requirement for game performance, then consider the Lenovo Thinkpad T520.

To get the best discount for the Lenovo Thinkpad T520, go through the Barnes and Noble Gold discount.
- Follow This link to the Barnes and Noble Gold Lenovo page and create a free account. Log into your free account.
- After logging in, visit this link to see the base models available for the Lenovo Thinkpad T520. Generally, you should base your configuration off of the cheapest base model.
- This is important: Select at least the HD+ (1600x900) display upgrade. Do not buy the Lenovo Thinkpad T520 in any configuration that includes the non-upgraded HD (1366x768) display. 15.6" 1366x768 displays limit multitasking because they make things onscreen large, and they tend to have terrible image quality due to low contrast.
- Consider the free upgrade to the Intel WiFi Link 1000 wireless card.
- Consider the 9-Cell battery.
- Apply the listed coupon USXMAYSAVINGS2012 to your configuration once it's in your cart. The cheapest configuration for the Lenovo Thinkpad T520 with the upgraded 1600x900 display will be $607.

If you have more of a gaming requirement, then consider the Lenovo Thinkpad W520. The stock GPU is comparable to a GT 540M/GT 630M in terms of game performance. Follow This link. Same thing about upgrading to either the HD+ (1600x900) or FHD (1920x1080) display applies.

MadGirlDisease

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
I found this year-old thread on a search for: notebook windows keyboard without number pad.

Like the OP I have no need for a keypad, and am also looking for a replacement for a Toshiba, in my case a L305. After about 4 years, the mouse buttons and the track pad are giving indications that they might not be long for this world.

I've been very happy with this Tosh and am concerned about what I'll do when it becomes unusable... it's not there yet... and could last much longer for all I know... but I am SO picky about keyboards that I'm trying to plan ahead. The other non-negotiable requirement I have is that the Delete key be located at the uppermost and rightmost position, so I never have to hunt for it. The Tosh wins on both counts.

I will check out the Lenovo linked above and see what it leads to, over a year later.

Just dropping in to voice my support for numpadless keyboards, in case anyone else finds this thread in the future.

To the OP: what did you end up with?

NatureGeek

Estimable
Jan 31, 2016
Thanks! Finally, someone posting something helpful instead of arguing with someone over their preferences - yay!
I, too, really hate the off-center keyboards with number pads on laptops - I actually balance my laptop on my lap quite often, and having the keyboard off to the side to make room for a number pad that I don't use makes the whole thing off balance. I refuse to buy a laptop with a number pad for that reason.
Thank you for the suggestions!

Littlrockr

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
This is an old list from 2014 but I hope it helps others looking for a 15 inch laptop with NO numeric keypad on the right side.
LAPTOPS WITH NO NUMERIC KEYPAD

ACER - Model: R7-571-6858 - 15.6-Inch Laptop
HP - HP 2000-2d65NR 15.6-Inch Laptop
HP - HP 2000-2d09WM 15.6-Inch Laptop
HP 2000-2D39WM 15.6" - at walmart
LENOVO - Model: T530 - 2392APU - 15.6-Inch Laptop
LENOVO - Model: W530 - 24384KU - 15.6-Inch Laptop WITH LED - WINDOWS 7
ASUS Transformer Book Duet TD300 - Windows 8

mikeys4u1

Commendable
Mar 4, 2016
Add it to the list...
ASUS VivoBook S400CA
https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/ASUS_VivoBook_S400CA/

Centered trackpad also...I think it's quite near mac book style.
14.0" 16:9 HD (1366x768) LED Backlight Glare pane

Great computer....

Betty_16

Commendable
Aug 20, 2016

Anyone know of any 17" laptops w/o numpads? I hate them too! No one I know uses them, I can understand that they might be helpful for certain jobs/tasks but those users are the minority. The average user has no need for one and people whose job involves a lot of typing are completely neglected by laptop manufacturers, all I need is a good keyboard, 17" screen and no numpad for an affordable price-too much to ask? I dont think we are a minority as such, I just think average users who dont type a lot dont really think about it and have got used to positioning their laptops or themselves at a certain angle to compensate-ask if they have ever once used the numpad most of them will say no! Its utterly ridiculous that because of a few accountants or cad users we all not only have to suffer the resulting negative impact on speed/quality/comfort of typing that the numpad causes we also risk damaging our health! After a few hours of typing on a keyboard my wrist, arm and shoulder ache... Sorry, rant over ;) If anyone spots a 17" out there....

Carl_38

Commendable
Aug 28, 2016
I just spent a considerable amount of time looking for a laptop with all the features I wanted. I placed my order, then later realized the one I ordered doesn't have a numpad. I am very disappointed. Don't know how I missed that and if I had noticed I would have looked harder for one with a numpad. I use the numpad all the time, doing work in Excel and other things that require entry of numbers. And I've never had a issue with the rest of the keyboard and touchpad being off center. Also, when you lose the numpad you don't have dedicated pageup, pagedown, home, and end keys, which I also use all the time.

I've mentioned this to quite a few people and they all were surprised that someone would make a laptop without the numpad and thought it was a stupid thing to do. So I think people who don't want a numpad are still in the minority.

But to help those that do, the one I ordered is a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 series.

Status
Not open for further replies.