Solved! lcd screen doenst work (properly) anymore

Dec 23, 2018
hi,

My mothers sony vaoi pcg 3j1m didn't work anymore because the ac jack was broken, so I replaced it, buy when I put the laptop back together the screen had these vertical lines in different colors and half of the screen was just Grey/black. For replacing the ac jack I also needed to also plug the lcd cable out.
I took the screen out of the laptop to see maybe the cable snapped somewhere but doesn't see anything wrong.
Does anyone know what causes the problem? Is it the lcd cable or the screen?
To make sure it isn't anything else maybe connect the laptop to an external monitor?

any advice is welcome!

Solution
It sounds like the cable isn't seeded correctly at one end or the other. It happens a lot. But to be sure, try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may...
It sounds like the cable isn't seeded correctly at one end or the other. It happens a lot. But to be sure, try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

You may also want to try hitting CTRL + SHIFT + WIN + B to try and reset your graphics driver as another possible fix.

Solution