Discussion Legion Y530 Bsod when idle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 17, 2021
Hello Fellas,
I have a Lenovo Y540 and it has a very weird issue.
The laptop BSOD's when it's in idle (sometimes after 5 minutes or sometimes after hours). Usually it's a deadlock and I have to manually press the power button and sometimes it's a BSOD but the bsod never manages to finish.

BSOD Messages :
  • REFERENCE_BY_POINTER
  • WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
  • CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT
Minidumps : http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=07408781970665789761

Specs:
Lenovo Y540
8GB Ram
i5 9300h
GTX1660ti

The interesting part is that when I play games on it never crashes .
I'm going to list the stuff I've done so far since I think this might be a hardware issue:
  • Changed RAM , tried different ram in both slots
  • Tried without SSD/HDD
  • Tried with bootable linux USB same issues (with removed HDD/SSD)
  • Removed WIFI card
  • Tried with/without charger , same issues
  • Checked Temps (CPU / GPU Temps are well below 80 Celsius (176 Fahrenheit))
  • Reinstalled OS
  • Updated BIOS / All drivers from Lenovo Website
  • Tried setting GPU to discrete (in bios) and in NVIDIA config also
  • Undervolting (this seems to have helped a bit)
  • Disabled Touch Pad from Device Manager

One more thing I noticed that the charger port has a little black plastic that got stuck in the charger. (pictures attached)
View: https://imgur.com/a/QcSCUcJ

Intel processor diagnostic tool came out with 0 erros , Intel XTU stress test runs without a problem so does Unigine Heaven.
One thing I noticed is that in CPU-Z the voltage refreshes more often (2 times a second) then on my Y530 with 8300h (once every second).
This laptop still has 12 month warranty left but it's from a different country so I want to exhaust every option before sending it away for most likely a month.

Has anyone of you experienced an issues like this before?

Thank you very much!

I've never seen that, but there is a ton of info on both the errors on the internet. Here is one good example:
I was intrigued by the watchdog timeout. I've worked on embedded software (no user interface) in military equipment and a watchdog is common. This is a separate little timer in hardware that the main processor has to "tickle" on a regular basis. If that doesn't happen, the watchdog generates a system reset on the assumption that the main processor has gotten "lost".

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS