Leneovo G505s switchable graphics always runs in power-saving mode

SteinOnkel

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Hey guys,

so I have a lenovo G505s with a clean Win7 x64 install.

I'm having issues with the dual graphics. I have it enabled in catalyst and under "switchable graphics global settings" as well as "PowerPlay" everything is set to maximize performance. I've told it to start my games with maximize performance as well under "switchable graphics appilcation settings". Here's the kicker: When I start any game on that list and start monitoring under "switchable graphics monitor" it always says they are running in power saving mode. Any ideas?

Best regards
Manuel

Greetings, Manuel:

Just to make sure you've covered everything:
a) Have you checked the power plans in Windows 7? You can change from Balanced to Performance.

b) Have you checked the Lenovo power app? You can change the battery mode from Conservation to Boost (it looks like a small space rocket).

Hope this helps,
GreyCatz.

SteinOnkel

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Hey there,

yes, I have windows 7 running in performance mode at all times. As far as the Lenovo app goes, I tossed it (thought it was redundant).

I'll try re-installing it and I'll look for that space ship.

Re-installing amd gpu drivers atm.

Also in the BIOS I can only select switchable graphics or uma. I would like to use switchable, just not in power saving mode in every app.

Hello, Manuel:

That's great news! I don't know the names of the coders, either, and I don't even know if it's someone at AMD or Lenovo we should blame.

On that note, don't think for a second that nVidia is that much better! These days we are struggling with all manner of compatibility issues between nVidia and Windows 10, and my GeForce Experience update tool is pretty much useless...

But thanks for the update, always nice to hear a success story.
GreyCatz.