Gilbert Walker

Estimable
Aug 16, 2015
Hi there! I've never posted on a forum before, but I FINALLY found a great fix to a problem that's been bugging me so here goes....

The Problem:
I've got an Acer Aspire TimelineX 5820TG with Catalyst switchable graphics (Radeon 6550M).
My problem was that the graphics cards always switched over when I plugged in or unplugged the power cord -which was SUPER annoying as it sometimes crashed my computer when I was playing a game (for instance when a housemate accidentally unplugged my laptop).

A few things to note:
1. For some weird reason there is no option in my catalyst control centre for switchable graphics to "Automatically select power saving GPU when on battery". This option does not exist for me, despite having latest drivers.

2. I didn't want a permanent BIOS "fix" that locked my computer into only using the Radeon card over the intel one. (I like the switchable graphics feature, I just want to choose WHEN it switches.)

3. I didn't want to uninstall Catalyst altogether.

THE FIX:
1. Press the windows key+r (or simply hit start and type in the search box)
2. type "services.msc"
3. Find "AMD External Events Utility" in the list of services.
4. Right click it, and select "stop". As far as I'm aware this effectively stops your computer talking with Catalyst control center (and thus switching over cards automatically). Your computer is then "locked" into whatever graphics card you were using at the time (ie Radeon or Intel) and should not switch between them when you plug in or unplug your power cord!!!!!

5. Now if you want to switch over your graphics card, go back to services and start the AMD External Events Utility. Then you'll be able to switch over graphics cards as per normal. (And you can also lock in your new choice if you wish by stopping it communicating again)

6. Pretty sure you can also set the service "start up type" to automatic (Begins when you start your computer?) Manual or Disabled. This means you can have the computer using the Intel graphics by default whenever you use your computer, and then you can occasionally beef it up when you want to play a game or do video processing or whatever.

Hope this works for someone. It's been a total Godsend for me!

Regards, Gilbert Walker.

You can also use a command line command to stop and start the service, much faster than going to the services.

Making a batch file for that command is easy and just takes a click to start and stop the service.

The command is "net stop" and "net start" to stop and start a service (obviously LOL). "net stop servicename" will stop it and then "net start servicename" will start it again. If you save a text file that is renamed with a .cmd extension with one of those commands, you can just double-click that file to run the command.