HenryP2589

Estimable
Nov 26, 2014
Hi guys, I am looking into buying a 2-in-1 laptop.

Let's begin with money. Max that I will pay for a 2-in-1 laptop is around 1600$.
The best in the market right now is the Lenovo 900 and the Surface Book, also the Hp Spectre x360, but I tried it on my friends laptop and it has really bad heating problems, so that one is a no go.

The things I will be doing on a laptop is college assignments, watch movies, play a couple games if I have nothing to do, I have a gaming pc so nothing to extreme, do some art sketches on the laptop, and as well as take notes with it in class, but also have a sturdy keypad. I was going to get the surface pro 4 but I don't know much about the keypad itself if it is better or still the same as before. What I mean by sturdy is like the keypad has to be typing on your lap or anywhere else that require solid standing.

It sounds to me like I should go for the Surface Book but it's too expensive for the price as it only has a 128gb SSD for the 1600$ version. This is why I need help deciding, should I get it anyways with the less storage and upgrade it later, or get the lenovo 900 and find a really good stylus to go with it if there is any.

The only reason why I am sold on the Surface Book is because they provide you with a stylus, unlike the lenovo 900.

Thanks guys for reading and helping me decide. If the keypad for the surface Pro 4 improved then I will go with that, if not then could you guys give me some other options or give me tips. I already tried out both of these laptops in display and I really like the surface book, but like I said to damn expensive with less storage if it had a 258gb ssd or more in that range price I would get it right away.

Solution
I would go with the Lenovo 900. The Surface Book's 128GB SSD is simply inadequate in size especially once you have windows and a few programs installed.
Also no matter which 2-1 you pick make sure the user is able to upgrade the SSD/HDD, and Memory without having to perform and strange rituals.

I personally like the Lenovo X1 Carbon, but it doesn't meet your 2-n-1 requirement.

JQB45

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
I would go with the Lenovo 900. The Surface Book's 128GB SSD is simply inadequate in size especially once you have windows and a few programs installed.
Also no matter which 2-1 you pick make sure the user is able to upgrade the SSD/HDD, and Memory without having to perform and strange rituals.

I personally like the Lenovo X1 Carbon, but it doesn't meet your 2-n-1 requirement.

Solution

HenryP2589

Estimable
Nov 26, 2014

I think I finally found what I wanted. I was planning on getting the surface book, but like you said, it's to damn expensive and not enough storage and should go for the lenovo yoga 900.

I am going to go with the surface pro 4 since it has lapability unlike the surface pro 3. This I can handle, also it is good for drawing and taking notes in class and can do anything that a college student needs, it can also game, but not demanding titles for sure. I am sold on the surface pro 4 now, since I need a pen, to take notes anyways, and the lenovo does not have digitizer pen, which is important to me so boom surface pro 4. Thanks though.

HenryP2589

Estimable
Nov 26, 2014

It depends on what you want, and also the only downside to lenovo is the bio here is an article. https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20150812/11395231925/lenovo-busted-stealthily-installing-crapware-via-bios-fresh-windows-installs.shtml

Lenovo is a good brand, but if you are like me wanting to take notes in class with a device instead of paper, go with the surface pro 4.