Lenovo G510, my HDD CADDY don't work properly

BaltazarIX

Estimable
Jan 26, 2016
Hey. I bought a SSD for my laptop. To get additional memory I bought an adapter to put my HDD instead of DVD-ROM. As you can predict it don't work properly. I tried something in regedit, clean refreshing my win10, tried even on win7 and still nothing.

My HDD disappears when i reboot/turn off for longer time/sleep my laptop.

-When I installed games for example FalloutNV and CS:GO I had random freezes which never happened when HDD was connected in primary bay.

-Sometimes if I'll open my disk manager I can see my HDD but can't set it online. I get an error about In/out? Also I can see my drive and If I want to initialize it i get error "Can't find to specifed file" (if my translation is good)

-English it's not my primary language so it would be if I won't try to descrive whole situation to not make you understand it wrong.

-I never hadany issues when plugged in default bay.
My HDD's model is: WDC WD10JPCX-24UE4T0

-Never seen any drive connected via Caddy in BIOS.

I don't know if it's my motherboard issue which can't handle such memory or my laptop need better power suply.

Sorry for any mistakes and thanks for help. Feel free to ask me about anything, I'll try to answer you as good as I can.

Solution
Happy New Years, @BaltazarIX!

Since you have a new SSD to boot from, I'd recommend you start from scratch and make sure you keep the WD HDD unplugged from the laptop while clean installing Windows onto the solid-state drive. This will avoid the so-called OS confusion. After you have Windows 10 up and running from the SSD, try putting the HDD back in the bay and then see how and if it will get recognized by the system. The issue could be coming from the bay or from the hDD itself. In order to determine the source of the issue, I'd advise you to check how the WD drive appears on another working PC as a secondary storage. If the WD HDD is properly recognized by another computer, I'd definitely check how the caddy is working with the SSD...

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Happy New Years, @BaltazarIX!

Since you have a new SSD to boot from, I'd recommend you start from scratch and make sure you keep the WD HDD unplugged from the laptop while clean installing Windows onto the solid-state drive. This will avoid the so-called OS confusion. After you have Windows 10 up and running from the SSD, try putting the HDD back in the bay and then see how and if it will get recognized by the system. The issue could be coming from the bay or from the hDD itself. In order to determine the source of the issue, I'd advise you to check how the WD drive appears on another working PC as a secondary storage. If the WD HDD is properly recognized by another computer, I'd definitely check how the caddy is working with the SSD in it. If any issues occur with it again, I'd definitely consider replacing it through the reseller's/manufacturer's customer support.

Hope this helps you. Keep me posted with the troubleshooting. :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution