Lenovo G550 Start Problem...

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
My sister in law have a Lenovo G550 and It somehow stops working... I Tried nearly everything... Here's the problem, It power on BUT HDD led blink on for probably 2 second than never turn on(LED) after but the power lights still lid up... The Screen is blink... The CPU is hot enough where the fan will keep on spinning and never stops but it's on low(minimum fan speed) as if im browsing, it usually stay quiet when idle(0 RPM FAN) but it's doesn't seem to be idling?... HDD is not the problem, The Screen isn't the problem, CPU isn't the problem, RAM isn't the problem, Wireless Card isn't the problem... Could it be a mother board problem or what? BTW she said she turn it on and it never worked since than...

Hello LegendKiller;

How do you know the HDD is not the problem?

Try building a bootable CD to test the hardware.
You can build a LiveCD (a complete operating system on a CD or USB thumb drive) to bypass a possible HDD problem.

Ubuntu Desktop
Follow the instructions to make the LiveCD or USB drive.
Use the F12 key when you power on the laptop and choose CD/DVD or USB as the boot device.
For the CD use the Try It option - not the install option.
It's not Windows - but enough like windows you can probably work with it.

If it boots up and runs you know most of your hardware is working OK.
You can try and open your HDD and if it's working and the file system isn't damaged you should be able to look for an personal data and files your sister wants to save and copy them off on a USB thumb drive.

screenshotql.png

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Does it display anything? Have you tried an external monitor? Can you use a flashlight and see if you can see anything on the screen(sometimes it's REALLY dim). have you tried taking out the memory sticks, and inserting one at a time?

could be a bad display or a bad motherboard. You need to do more troubleshooting and post specifically what it is doing and when.

You shouldn't just say "blah blah blah isn't the problem" - you should post WHY you don't think it's the problem... like what you did to verify..

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
HDD- I tested it by transferring my sister in law files like photo which went smooth without problem...
RAM- It's not the problem because the MoBo would beep or so(It's what i think) BTW i pull one out and test it too...
Screen- It's not the problem because it would have show the boot up think like process or check-up...
The HDD led turn on for 2 second and than never turn on, so if it doesnt, it isn't going into the OS which i think the motherboard is the problem but why it's not beeping or whatever?

I cant do those F12 because it's not showing those stuff on it, it's just blink forever...

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
HDD - It can still have a corrupt boot sector.
RAM - It doesn't' have to beep....
Screen - Show the boot up thing? When you turn it on it doesn't show your BIOS for a second..?

What do you mean it just blink forever...... You press power, and it comes up with a blinking cursor in the upper left of the screen and doesn't do anything else ever?

Beeps are not always present, and they rarely help in troubleshooting properly. Stop putting everything on whether it beeps or not.

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011

blink as in nothing showing up lol... the screen just turn black forever and it wont even show the BIOS as what you said... All I know is that MotherBoard is likely the problem BUT I also think something got damaged when she probably dropped it or so... I did nearly everything beside taking off the laptop apart and looking at the other stuff on it...

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Did you try using a flashlight to make sure the screen isn't just REALLY dim? Did you check to make sure her video connection is ok? Did you try an external monitor...

You mean BLANK... not blink....

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011

Yeah, blank lol... I tried the external and it does not work... I tried the flash like, the screen is not dim...

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Can you hold down a key when you first turn it on(like SPACE for 30 seconds), it should start beeping really fast... that will at least tell you if it's booting to BIOS(maybe just a bad LCD Screen)...

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011

It's not beeping... Hold more than a min...