Lenovo y50-70 doesn't accept ssd

Djpeopas

Estimable
Oct 28, 2015
I have a Lenovo y50-70.
I replaced the slow hdd for a Samsung 850 evo 500gb. It ran smoothly for 2 months and suddenly one day out of the blue the windows could not start. I tried to re-install them, but it showed me an error 0x80070057. I reinstalled the old hdd and everything looked fine. I tried to put another ssd, a one transcend 128 gb but still the same error. Any ideas?

Solution

Glad to hear you've resolved the issue, @Djpeopas!

Best of luck with everything! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Djpeopas

Estimable
Oct 28, 2015

Tried the given solution but when I try to format the new 2nd partition it shows the same error!!!!!

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Hey there again, Djpeopas!

I'd recommend you to check your laptop manufacturer's website and see if you have the latest BIOS version available for your model installed. If not, you'd need to flash BIOS and upgrade. Another thing that might help is resetting BIOS to its factory default settings from the interface (since you have laptop). Here's a tutorial that might help you with that as well: http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-Your-BIOS

Keep me posted with the troubleshooting!
SuperSoph_WD

Djpeopas

Estimable
Oct 28, 2015

Hi and thanx for the immediate answers!
I tried the solution also! Ever fiddled with the options after that, still nothing.
Contacted Lenovo and said that it is the ssd's problem. (Very rude for Customer Service)
Contacted Samsung and not only do they want to help, they already send DHL to pick up the ssd!!!

Djpeopas

Estimable
Oct 28, 2015

OK! The ssd came back and it was..... perfect. Meanwhile I inserted a Kingston SSDnow V300 120GB and I had the same exact problem. Putting the original HDD back the machine worked (although it was really sluggish). When I contacted again Lenovo customer service they told me that if the laptop runs with the original part, it is not our fault.... Pretty much like saying go screw yourself....I am furstrated! I tried everything. even tried to format the ssd through diskpart but still nothing. and I can't get into the system log to see whats wrong (since I dont have windows intsalled) Any help would be appreciated.

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
This definitely seems frustrating, @Djpeopas!
Another thing that comes to mind as to why the SSD is causing you such headaches is that you might need a specific driver for it. It's highly possible that the laptop manufacturer has developed such drivers for older models, maybe you could ask them again.
I'd recommend you look more specifically into the AMD/Intel chipset drivers for your model on their website and make sure you have updated it one.

Good luck!
SuperSoph_WD

Djpeopas

Estimable
Oct 28, 2015

Thanx again....
Will look into it and let you know!!!

Djpeopas

Estimable
Oct 28, 2015
And we're done!
After a lot of weird problems I did something sneaky.
Since my hdd was operational, I formated the ssd on an other laptop, and then used the Samsung migration program to copy my OS to the ssd. Worked like a charm!
Now after a little bit of tinkering and a little uninstalling I am happy to report that everything is as it should.
And all of this NO thanks to Lenovo Support.... Those guys SUCK!!!!!
But all of you guys are the best!
Thanx for all your help!!!!

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014

Glad to hear you've resolved the issue, @Djpeopas!

Best of luck with everything! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution