Lenovo y700 keyboard problems

Lenovo99

Commendable
Oct 22, 2016
So i had problems with keyboard stopping to work. Someone adviced me to reinstall the drivers but that did not help. The keyboard sometimes randomly stops working and i have to restart my computer, this happens a few times a week. Any help appreciated :)

In regard to the drivers, you should try (if not what they said to you originally) uninstalling the driver, rebooting the computer (without reinstalling the driver) and then when the laptop restarts it should reinstall the driver on its own.

If this doesn't resolve the issue, then I would suggest (with the laptop off) connect an external keyboard and then turn the laptop on. See if you get the same problem using an external board. If no, then the problem lies in the attached keyboard or its connections.

Lenovo99

Commendable
Oct 22, 2016

It was actually you who suggested to uninstall the drivers before and i did exactly that. Today when the keyboard stopped working i did not just turn off the computer but messed around for a bit. After a while it just crashed and i got a bluescreen. after downloading blue screen view i got this info:
Caused by driver : ntoskrnl.exe
and
Caused by address : ntoskrnl.exe+14a510
Also after keyboard stopped working i unplugged my mouse and plugged it back again but after doing that the mouse would not work anymore. Touchpad still working fine.
Do i have to reinstall windows?
Or maybe this has something to do with me adding ram when i bought the laptop?

It could be the RAM. If what you replaced has been working up until now, it may have gone bad. If you have the old RAM, try putting it back and see if that resolves this.

The other reason I know of for an error with ntoskrnl.exe is overclocking (if you have done that).

Lenovo99

Commendable
Oct 22, 2016

I have not done any overclocking and as far as the RAM goes, it came with 4GB and i added 4GB more i made sure the frequency matches and everything.

Lenovo99

Commendable
Oct 22, 2016

Okay thanks for your help :)

RodrigoB

Commendable
Dec 5, 2016
I have the exact same laptop (Lenovo Y700) and my keyboard twice did not respond, had to hard reset the machine. I did not add more RAM or modify the machine in any way. I also have the latest drivers installed.

I´ll check by for a solution.

Lenovo99

Commendable
Oct 22, 2016

Lenovo99

Commendable
Oct 22, 2016
What i did was change the power option from balanced to high power, and now in 2 or 3 weeks it hasn't happened once, so i think that might have fixed it.

MyUsernameIsWeak

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016

How do you do that? I have the same problem.. Its super annoying.. When im gaming it happens and i have to dc out of the game becouse i need to restart my laptop...

Lenovo99

Commendable
Oct 22, 2016

Just click on the battery icon, click power & sleep settings and then additional power settings, there you should be able to select High performance. Hope this helps i am really surprised that this fixed it for me, it seems like a very weird solution.

Chad0

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017
I had the same problem when i got the laptop a few weeks ago and updated all my drivers using Driver booster 4 haven`t experience this problem since.

Karimf

Estimable
Jun 30, 2015

Sorry mate to intrude on your post for advice about the Lenovo Y700.
I'm thinking of buying this laptop and wanted to know if it supports true surround sound output through HDMI or is it only virtual surround sound ? I want to connect it to my A/V receiver.
Thanks in advance and sorry again if this is hijacking your thread :)

aloshtive

Prominent
May 16, 2017
I have the same problem.. my keyboard stops working when playing on "balanced" power option.
However when I change it to "High Performance" I get more fps in games but the temperature hits 90 C and my game freezes.

Any suggestions out there?

I've bought my Lenovo y700 isk15 16 months ago and I never opened it and cleaned it yet. Will cleaning help that much?
And does anyone of you have any advice or any experience cleaning your own laptop? Do you recommend it?

Mar 27, 2018

Ok, I know what to do. Plug in an external USB keyboard and then go to the task manager. Restart the windows explorer and end the explorer task. Then click on File>Create New Task>explorer.exe.

That method helped me because my windows key wasn't working but now it does.